Q - What items are prohibited?
A - The following items should be left at home:
* Appliances with an open flame or open coil burner or requires gas or other flamable liquids, burning incense, and candles
* Extension cords, electric room deodorizers and candle warmers, sun lamps, halogen lamps, and air conditioners
* Ammunition and weapons of any kind—guns, explosive devices, bowie knives, daggers, swords, slingshots, leaded canes, switch-blade knives, blackjacks, metallic/brass knuckles, etc.
* Alcohol, illegal drugs, drug paraphernalia
* Water beds
* Weight lifting equipment
* Live Christmas trees, combustion engines, combustibles, explosives, fire crackers
* Pets other than fish. Fish must be kept in a container no larger than 10 gallons
* Stolen property (street signs, etc.)
* Any item considered dangerous or offensive to others
You may view the full text of rules and regulations of Housing and Residence Life online here.
Q - What should I bring?
A - General Necessities
Items nice to have
Q - What about safety and security?
A - The University and Housing and Residence Life have a mission to educate students in a safe and productive community environment. The University employs full-time Public Safety officers as well as full and part time housing personnel who are on duty 24 hours, seven days a week and provides recorded video surveillance in some locations. It is the duty and responsibility of every student, staff, and guest to practice safe behaviors.
* Always keep your room door locked, even when just stepping down the hall.
* Call ETSU Public Safety at 423-439-4480 to report suspicious persons/behaviors
* Observe posted visitation hours, properly sign in guests at the desk, inform guests of University/Housing policies, escort guests to/from room
* Attend campus safety and crime prevention programs
* Report lost/stolen IDs and keys to hall staff and/or ETSU Public Safety
* Never lend your room key/access card or student ID. Keep these items secure at all times.
* Report vandalism to hall staff and/or Public Safety immediately; vandalism may result in the entire hall/floor being assessed charges for the damages
* Never prop open hall doors
* Exit the building immediately when the fire alarm sounds
* Ride the Campus Bucshot or call ETSU Public Safety at 423-439-4480 for a walking escort.
You may view the ETSU campus safety report online at
Q - What is the visitation/guest policy?
A - On-campus housing offers several options for visitation including a 24-hour, seven day a week option. All residents will have an opportunity to vote on some of those options at the beginning of the semester, and will be provided guidelines pertaining to visitation. Roommates must reach an agreement as well on what visitation hours are appropriate for their room within the set hall policies.
Q - What is the university policy on drinking?
A – ETSU is a dry campus – no alcoholic beverages are allowed on campus property.
Q – What is the smoking policy in University Housing?
A – ETSU is a non-smoking campus. Smoking is permitted on campus only in students’ vehicles.