The Department of Housing and Residence Life (DHRL) selects undergraduate students to serve as Buc Guides for the various residential living-learning communities (LLCs) we offer at ETSU. Living-learning communities provide students with a chance to live together with individuals who share a common area of interest and to experience programming and course activities that help students build community and connect to faculty, staff, and fellow students. Aside from the Honors College Living-Learning Community, students in LLCs take coursework together as part of the community.
Buc Guides serve as mentors and facilitators in these living-learning programs. Working alongside faculty and staff members, Buc Guides help create programs and activities that connect residents to common interests, and assist in helping students make a successful transition to ETSU.
Buccaneer Guides must be able to commit to all of the dates/times listed below. Please do not apply for this position if you are unable to commit to all of these dates. Contact Adrianna Guram (email@example.com) if you have questions or concerns about any of these dates.
Spring 2014 All Buccaneer Guides are required to attend the following dates:
• Buc Guide Workshop Trainings
o Thursday evenings from 6:00-8:00 p.m.
• Buccaneer Guide Retreat
o Saturday, April 26th, 2013 from 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
• Summer 2014
o This position has no summer commitment Fall 2014 and Spring 2015
• Participate in Welcome Week activities with your living-learning community
• 60 minutes in weekly Buccaneer Guide meetings; this meeting time will be scheduled once selection is complete for all Guides
• 5-10 hours each week building community with the residents in your living-learning community; includes programs and activities, as well as management of online communities (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, etc.)
• 60 minutes in meetings with the Steering Committee for your living-learning community (occurs at least monthly for each community)
$800 per semester, awarded upon successful completion of each semester's requirements. Buc Guides are hired for an annual term (fall and spring semesters).
This position is supervised by DHRL's Assistant Director for Academic Initiatives. Questions about this position should be directed to Adrianna Guram at firstname.lastname@example.org or 423-439-5333.
Complete the online application no later than Friday, February 7th, 2014.