Pre-Orientation Checklist

 This checklist was created to help identify tasks that should be completed prior to starting as a student at ETSU. To make your Orientation experience as smooth as possible, we highly encourage you to complete as many of these steps as possible before attending Orientation.

Activate your ETSU Domain account.  

As an entering student at ETSU you will need to activate your ETSU domain and/or reset your password which allows you to access your personal information, email and campus services via GoldlLink (ETSU Portal). If you did not activate your account during the admission process, please visit the ETSU activate page ( and follow the instructions. Remember to bring this information with you to orientation. You will need it to register for classes.

Activate your Goldmail Account (ETSU email)

Part of the ETSU Activation process will be the activation of your university email address, Goldmail. The University will use this account to share important information with you including: orientation registration/confirmation, advising information, account/billing information, and correspondence with ETSU instructors.

Complete your Immunization requirements.

(Incomplete immunization information will affect course registration)

The State of Tennessee requires that all students enrolled in the university meet certain immunization requirements prior to their initial enrollment. You may check your immunization status via GoldLink. These requirements include:

i. Full-time students must provide proof that they have received 2 MMR (Measles, Mumps, & Rebella) shots or Physician signed documentation of immunity.

ii. Full-time students must provide proof that they have received 2 Varicella (Chicken Pox) shots or Physician signed documentation of immunity.

iii. ALL students must provide a signed Meningococcal/Hepatitis B Waiver Form acknowledging that the student is aware of the risk associated with Hepatitis B and Meningitis infections on a college campus. Students who are under 18 must provide a signed waiver that is also signed by a legal parent or guardian.

New incoming students to ETSU who have received one MMR and one Varicella vaccination may complete the One Semester Immunization Exemption Form and return it to the Registrar's Office so they may be able to register for a full time course load. A full list of MMR requirement exemptions can be found here (link)




It is anticipated that effective July 1, 2013, the Tennessee General Assembly will require ALL NEW incoming students at any public institution of higher learning in the State of Tennessee who live in "ON-CAMPUS" student housing, will be required to provide proof of adequate immunization against Meningococcal disease within the last 5 years, before moving into any on-campus housing. Some exemptions do apply for students who provide the appropriate medical or religious exemption form to Student/University Health Services. This new requirement does not currently apply to students already living in on-campus housing.

This requirement does not replace the Hepatitis B/Meningitis Waiver Form. The Hepatitis B/Meningitis Waiver Form is still mandatory for completion. New incoming students living in on-campus housing will not have the option of refusing this immunization without providing Student Health Services with appropriately executed medical or religious exemptions.

For more information or question please contact the Health Clinic or 423-439-4225

Check your Financial Aid Status.

Check your Financial Aid status through GoldLink frequently. Use the Financial Aid GoldLink Guide to complete all of the steps in order to ensure your Financial Aid information is correct.

Understand your Learning Support Requirements.

 Students requiring Learning Support will receive information through the mail  a letter from the University Advisement Center.   Additional information regarding Learning Support, placement and challenging  ACT/SAT test scores can be found HERE

Send final transcripts to ETSU.

If you have completed dual enrollment credit while in high school, please have an official transcript sent from the college through which you earned the credit  to the Admissions Office at ETSU prior to your orientation session. We want to make sure to award you the credit you’ve earned and that we advise you most appropriately. Failure to send an official college transcript may result in your repeating a course for which you have already earned credit.

If you are a transfer student we will need an official copy of your transcript from all previously attended colleges/universities prior to your orientation session.

If you have not done so already request that an official copy of your high school/college transcript be sent directly to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, ETSU, PO Box 70731, Johnson City, TN 37614. An official copy is a sealed, unopened version.

* For By Invitation Only Orientation (BIO) student will submit their final transcript once they graduate.

Register for Orientation

You will receive notification via GoldMail inviting you to Orientation. You will need to log into the orientation system, complete LAUNCH (online orientation), take the LAUNCH quiz, select a date and pay for an on-ground orientation. If you are not required to attend on-ground orientation you will need to complete LAUNCH and pay your orientation fee. Once you complete the orientation registration process you will receive a confirmation email.

Advisement/Registration for classes.

You will be advised and will register for classes during orientation.  If pre-advisement is required or recommended, you will be contacted by your advisement area immediately prior to your orientation date with more information.  If you are not required to attend orientation and have completed Launch, please contact your academic advisor for assistance (see the Advisor Contact List for contact information).

 In order for advisors to provide accurate advisement and course options:

Transfer students: please review your Transfer Evaluation in GoldLink and verify that all college credit has been received and loaded. Please bring copies of any missing coursework (current semester enrolled, etc.) with you to orientation.

 Freshman students:  please have AP credit and dual enrollment credit sent to ETSU.  Official Dual enrollment transcripts must be sent from the community colleges that hosted courses.  

 Please review your Program of Study in the ETSU Online Catalog and review the GoldLink Registration Information in Launch prior to orientation to make the most of your advisement and registration times.

Apply for Housing (optional)

On campus housing is about so much more than just having a place to stay. You will find life on campus to be extremely convenient with many housing locations to choose from. Visit our Housing and Residence Life page to view housing options, see fees, and apply for housing. If you have already applied for on-campus housing a letter with housing assignments will be mailed to you.

Request housing for Orientation

Contact the Office of Housing and Residence Life at 423-439-4446.


Purchase a Meal Plan (optional)

Having a meal plan makes life on campus easy and convenient. Meal Plans provide you with a specific number of meals designed to be used in the all-you-care-to-eat dining hall or any of the other locations on campus including Chick-fil-A, Quiznos, Zoca, Grill Works, Starbucks, Freshens Smoothie Bar, and much more.

i.      Residential Meals Plans are perfect for students living on campus.

ii.      Commuter Meal Plans are designed for every type of commuter student, whether you eat on campus every day or once or twice a week.

Visit our Dining Services website for additional information.

ID Card/ID BUC$ (optional)

All students must obtain an official ETSU ID card, which you will receive at orientation. If you do not attend orientation you can obtain an ID by visiting the ID services office located on the 2nd floor of the D.P. Culp University Center. Your ID card not only provides student identification, but will allow you access to the Library, your residence hall, the Center for Physical Activity, computer labs, and selected classrooms. Your ID card is also used to access your meal plan and obtain tickets to athletic events.


You may also choose to create a debit account called ID BUC$. ID BUC$ may be used in the bookstore, all food service locations, laundry facilities in residence halls, Student Health Clinic, Library, Bursar's Office, and vending machines throughout campus. ID BUC$ is also accepted at participating off-campus merchants. You may make a deposit online, by phone or at the ID Services Office.


direct edit