The purpose of the Greek Leaders Retreat is to educate and develop Greek officers in an effort to promote leadership, fraternal bonding, and operational success.
The Greek Leaders Retreat (GLR) provides unique ideas and opportunities for Greek officers to network and establish relationships with other leaders within the Greek community. GLR is a retreat dedicated to the education of three distinct Greek councils on leadership, collaboration with university administration, and the celebration of the similarities of all Greek students. This conference promises to exemplify the goals of not only fraternity and sorority life, but also ETSU's core values and support of cooperation among our fraternity and sorority community. In addition, this conference will nourish existing or create new leadership programming across councils while celebrating the uniqueness of the fraternal experience at ETSU.
Greek Leaders Retreat will create a dynamic and thriving Greek community on the campus of East Tennessee State University.
To bring officer from every Greek organization together to discuss common issues and concerns facing our community. The conference will develop personal leadership skills and qualities in the officers that attend and thereby, significantly impacting each chapter. All council officers and chapter presidents are expected to participate. The goal of the retreat is to educate community members on the current state of the Greek community and begin to understand how they can create change and become better values based leaders within their organizations.
• Develop current and create new relationships with other Greek leaders.
• Recognize areas of growth within respective chapters and councils.
• Identify ways to initiate needed growth through self and peer-analysis of current state.
• Participate in detailed goal setting.
• Enlighten others and be informed on the issues that require attention in our Greek community to ensure the fraternity and sorority experience remains relevant to the mission of their respective national organizations and East Tennessee State University through various activities and discussions.
• Gain an understanding and detail knowledge of the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life and the Division of Student Affairs expectations in the Greek community.
• Gain an understanding of how individual and chapter behavior affects the entire community through various symbolic activities and facilitated group discussions.
What to Expect
GLR kicks off the New Year and is an opportunity for council and chapter officers to further develop as leaders in their organizations. Leaders from across the East Tennessee State University Greek community come together to set their own agenda, ask their own questions, share their experiences, listen to the experiences of others, and learn as a community what it means to have the best possible Greek experience at ETSU.
Just think about all that is right and perhaps not so right about being Greek at ETSU. What challenges are you facing as a leader? What do we need to do more of, less of, or a better job of so we can truly reach our potential as value based organizations? Then start thinking about what knowledge, skills, and abilities you have that can make a difference. We will be calling upon your experience and skills throughout the weekend.
You can count on having fun, meeting new people, exchanging ideas, and even developing some bold new directions for the Greek community you never thought could happen. All it takes is the belief that fraternities and sororities are values-based organizations intended to enhance the collegiate experience, a gut feeling that we can do a lot to improve upon this model, the ability to ask tough questions, and the determination to contribute to discovering an answer.
Expect to be an active learner at GLR. This retreat is about YOU and your needs as a leader, your questions that you can't quite answer, and those burning issues that affect you as a member of the Greek community.
What to Bring
Thanks for participating in the 2015 Greek Leaders Retreat!