Parents and Families
Welcome to Fraternity and Sorority Life at ETSU!
Fraternity and Sorority life adds a dimension to college that cannot be found in other organizations. Joining a Greek-lettered organization offers each individual the opportunity to derive something unique from the fraternity and sorority community. For some, it serves as a support network and a place to develop friendships. For others, it is a chance to become involved in community service, philanthropy projects, leadership opportunities, and academic pursuits. For most, it is all of these things and the lifelong bond of brotherhood and sisterhood that makes the experience last a lifetime.
Click here to view our Parent and Family Guide
What is my role as a parent?
- Students need support throughout the process of recruitment/intake and new member education. Be supportive and learn as much as you can about Greek life by asking questions of your student as he or she meets members in fraternities and sororities.
- Keep an open mind . . . Greek life is not for everyone. Just because you may have been a fraternity or sorority member doesn't mean that it is the right choice for your son or daughter.
- Fraternities and sororities are different on every campus. Groups that may have been strong on the campus where you attended school may not have the same reputation at ETSU. Let your son or daughter choose the group that he or she feels the most comfortable joining.
- Talk to your son or daughter beforehand about the financial obligation. Determine who will pay for what and where the limits are.
- Keep the Office of Greek Life contact information on hand if you have any questions or concerns about Greek Life on ETSU’s campus.
To learn more about the different programs we offer for parents and families, visit the Parent and Family Programs website.