The East Tennessean is staffed by about 20-30 students from
throughout the university community. Staff members are responsible
for all aspects of the newspaper. They write and edit stories, take
pictures and develop photographs, sell and design ads, design and
layout the paper, operate the Web site and deliver the twice-weekly
A full-time student publications adviser oversees the day-to-day
operation and helps train and provides assistance to the staff. An
office supervisors takes care of the business side of the paper and
works with the advertising staff.
Student who get involved with the East Tennessean discover:
- That the newspaper provide invaluable work experience that
looks great on a résumé.
- That it's a fun way to make money. Yes, you actually get paid
for working for the East Tennessean.
- That the newsroom is equipped with some of the latest
technology found in the desktop publishing industry, including
Apple computers, Adobe Photoshop and InDesign software, and
- That it's great fun! You get to work with a diverse group of
fellow students who develop a strong camaraderie.
- That it provides an outlet for creative people. The East
Tennessean also gives, students, faculty and staff an opportunity
to express their viewpoints through Letters to the Editor and
Applications for both
editorial positions are available here, along
with a list of