Planning to transfer

         transfer banner

Evaluating your courses to determine what transfer credit you have and what courses you need to take can be challenging. Below are the steps to view the courses you have taken, how they transferred to ETSU and how they apply to the requirements needed to complete your degree. There is also information on how to request credit for a course that transferred in as something other than what you thought it would be.


Look at the Undergraduate Catalog

The undergraduate catalog contains valuable information that will assist you throughout your academic career such as:

  • Enrolling at ETSU
  • Financial Aid
  • Student Services and Resources
  • Academic Regulations
  • Degree and Graduation Requirements
  • Majors, Degrees, and Concentration Requirements for each College and Major
  • Course Listings and Descriptions
  • General Education Core Requirements
  • Proficiency Intensives
  • And more! 



Look at your transfer coursework

Log into Transfer Works to see how academic credits you have earned at other institutions can be used to earn a degree at East Tennessee State University. 



Choose your Program of Study

ETSU offers more than one hundred programs of study with offerings at the undergraduate, graduate, and professional levels including distinctive interdisciplinary programs. 




Compare your transfer coursework to major, minor, degree, proficiency intensives and university and general education requirements

Compare your transfer course to the requirements for the major of your choice (general education, degree, major and minor requirements). This will help you to determine what courses you have credit for and what courses are needed.

Note: Transferring 50 or more credits to ETSU reduces the proficiency intensive requirements




Students who have not chosen a major

ETSU's general education requirements apply to all undergraduate students pursuing baccalaureate degrees.   If you have not chosen a major, you can work on fulfilling the general education core requirements. However, keep in mind that many majors and degree programs require students to take specific courses to fulfill general education requirements. So it is best to choose a major as soon as possible to lessen the likelihood of having to take additional general education core classes to meet major and or degree requirements.

Note: You can also see the general education requirements on pages that list  requirements in respective majors.  Some majors require specific general e ducation courses. 




Request for transfer credit

If a course transferred as something other than what you thought it would transfer in as, contact the following:

  • For courses within the General Education Core - contact , Associate Dean, College of Arts & Sciences 
  •  For courses within the major or minor -  contact the department of that major or minor.



Additional Questions?

Please contact Adult, Commuter & Transfer Services or Transfer Articulation if you have additional questions.                                                            

Adult, Commuter & Transfer Services                      Transfer Articulation
(423) 439-5641   (423) 439-4722












link to undergraduate catalog
transfer works
programs of study link
major minor link
proficiency intensive link
arts and sciences degree requirements
general education core link
academic depts link
advising FAQs
direct edit