Homepage Content Policies and Procedures
The following definitions and guidelines pertain to the sections of dynamic content on the homepage. These guidelines will be used by university relations to determine what content is appropriate for each of these sections. Existing systems that prove to be the best fit for ease of use and performance will be used to facilitate the inclusion of the information.
If you are looking for policies related to other sites on the ETSU web, please visit the content management website.
- Definition: a news item is a report describing newly received or noteworthy information about ETSU
- Each news item should have a related thumbnail
- The director of University relations or his or her designee will decide what news items are appropriate for inclusion on the homepage
- Example: Mary B. Martin announces the release of the fall season
- Example: ETSU announces Labor Stay Weekend
- Example: There will be a ribbon cutting at the opening of the new parking garage
- Definition: A significant occurrence or happening at ETSU. To qualify as an event, an item must meet the following criteria
- It must be a singular event (not a group of events)
- It must occur on a specific date and time in the future
- It has a specific location and can be attended
- It should be of interest to our target audience: prospective and current students
- Each event should have a related photo and entry into PlanIt Calendar
- Each event should be hyperlinked to an event in PlanIt Calendar
- The director of University relations or his or her designee will decide what events are appropriate for inclusion on the homepage
- Example: Ribbon cutting at the opening of the new parking garage
- Example: “Welcome Week” itself would not be an event. Instead, specific events within welcome week should be highlighted and branded as part of welcome week
- Example: “Fall Season of the Arts” is not an event. This is an announcement and/or news item
Top Billboard Area
- Should only be used to highlight a student, alumnus, and/or faculty member and his/her work at ETSU
- Should feature one individual, but no more than 3 individuals
- Must specifically relate to target audience (prospective students) and fit within the scope of any University marketing plan.
- Background of the image should be visually appealing but not overwhelming and should represent an easily identifiable location on campus.
- The director of University relations or his or her designee will decide items that are appropriate for inclusion as a homepage billboard item
- Definition: a notification that is critical to prospective students and campus community.
- Announcements not applicable for the ETSU Homepage, can be added to the announcements category of the calendar and/or the ETSU Accent
- Examples: Gold Alert, Detour/parking issues, Arts Initiative, call to action
- Only two announcements can be posted at a time. The default announcements will be set to, “sign-up for Gold Alerts” and “Need Help”
Timing for News and Events
- For inclusion on the homepage, events supersede news items. A news item about an event should not be on the homepage at the same time as the event.
- If a news release about an event is generated during the same time as the event is on the homepage, the news release should not be marked for “homepage” inclusion.