Dr. Stacy Brown joined the inaugural faculty of the Gatton College of Pharmacy in 2007. Prior to that, she taught undergraduate chemistry at The Citadel in Charleston, SC and served as adjunct graduate faculty at College of Charleston. Dr. Brown completed her B.S. degree in chemistry at The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga prior to entering the Ph.D. program at The University of Georgia. At UGA, she worked in the field of bioanalytical chemistry under the supervision of Dr. Michael Bartlett. Dr. Brown continues to work in the field of analytical chemistry, specializing in liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry (LC-MS) method development and validation. She collaborates on projects that involve drug stability, pharmacokinetics, drug metabolism, and biomarker quantification. Dr. Brown mentors both pharmacy students and undergraduates in her lab. Dr. Brown also has research interests in the scholarship of teaching, where she has studied the effectiveness of guided inquiry teaching and case-based teaching in the pharmacy curriculum. She has been recognized by her students for excellence and teaching, and has been recognized by the College of Pharmacy for excellence in teaching, research, and service.
Education, Degree, & Post Graduate Training:
BS Chemistry, 1998; The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
PhD, 2002; The University of Georgia
- A. Gravitte, T. Archibald, A. Cobble, B. Kennard, S. Brown (2021). Liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry applications for quantification of endogenous sex hormones. Biomedical Chromatography. 35(1): e5036. https://doi.org/10.1002/bmc.5036
- R. Jackson, S. Brown (2020). “Comparative stability of compounded omeprazole suspension versus commercial omeprazole kit when stored in oral syringes under refrigerated conditions.” Journal of Pharmacy Technology. Accepted: May 2020. Pre-print available: https://doi.org/10.1177/8755122520935532
- M. Huskey, P. Lewis, S.D. Brown (2020). “Stability of Ampicillin in Normal Saline Following Refrigerated Storage and 24-Hour Pump Recirculation.” Hospital Pharmacy. Accepted: April 2020. Pre-print available: https://doi.org/10.1177/0018578720925389
- D.B. Hoover, M.D. Poston, S. Brown, S.E. Lawson, C.E. Bond, A.M. Downs, D.L. Williams, T.R. Ozment. "Cholinergic leukocytes in sepsis and at the neuroimmune junction in the spleen.” International Immunopharmacology. 81: 106359, April 2020. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intimp.2020.106359
- R. Jackson, M. Huskey, and S.D. Brown. “Labelling accuracy in low nicotine e-cigarette liquids from a sampling of US manufacturers.” International Journal of Pharmacy Practice. 28: 290-0294, 2020.
- S. Brown and J. Carmical. “Phospholipid Depletion Techniques in LC-MS Bioanalysis.” Book chapter in: Sample Preparation in LC-MS Bioanalysis. Johns Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ, March 2019, ISBN: 978-1-119-27429-2; 52-67.
- T. Archibald and S.D. Brown. “Monitoring Commercials Ibuprofen Potency Changes Over 1 Year When Stored in a Household Setting.” Journal of Pharmacy Technology. https://doi.org/10.1177/8755122519877808, 2019.
- D.E. Murrell, D.B. Cluck, J.P. Moorman, S.D. Brown, K.S. Wang, M.M. Duffourc, and S. Harirforoosh. “HIV Integrase Inhibitor Pharmacogenomics: An Exploratory Study.” Clinical Drug Investigation. 39(3): 285-299, 2019.
- S. Lawson, P.O. Lewis, G. Peacock, and S.D. Brown. “Comparative Stability of Oral Vitamin K Liquids Stored in Refrigerated Amber Plastic Syringes.” Journal of Pharmacy Technology. 35(3): 105-109, 2019.
- J. O’Donnell, S. Anand, S. Brown, K. Fuji, K. Guy, M. Kawaguchi-Suzuki, K. Meier, C. Nelson, A. Vyas, K. Block. “Report of the 2018-2019 Research and Graduate Affairs Committee.” American Journal of Pharmaceutical Educations. Article 7595, 2019.
- Taught at The Citadel in Charleston, SC from 2002-2007
- Started at ETSU in 2007 as an Assistant Professor
- Promoted to Associate Professor in 2013
- Promoted to Professor (ETSU) in 2019
- Promoted to Vice Chair of Pharmaceutical Sciences (2019)
- Promoted to Interim Chair of Pharmaceutical Science (2021)
POGIL (Process-Oriented Guided Inquiry Learning) and Case-Based Teaching
Medicinal Chemistry (P1 Course; PMSC 3224)
Toxicology (P2/P3 Elective; PMSC 7202)
Integrated Series (P2/P3 PMIN Course Series)
Research Electives (P2/PM PMSC 7204-7208)
Pharmaceutical Analysis (Graduate Elective; PMSC 6110)
Drug of abuse in pregnancy, pharmacokinetic modeling of placental transfer of drugs, development and validation of novel liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry (LC-MS) methods, drug stability investigations for extemporaneous products
Significant Regional, State, or National Service:
- Editorial Board MEmber: Journal of Chromatography B (Elsevier).
Editorial Board Member: Biomedical Chromatography (Wiley)
- American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP)
- National Meeting Abstract Screener (2016-present)
- Graduate Affairs Standing Committee (2018-2019)
- Women’s Faculty SIG Peer Mentor (2019-present)
- Chemistry Section Awards Committee (2017-2019)
- Chair (2020-2021)
- Chemistry Section Programming Committee (2019-2020)
- Council of Faculties Subcommittee – Career Center (2019-2020)
- Council of Faculty Affairs Committee (2021-2022)
- Pharmacy Quality Alliance (PQA)
- Academic Affairs Committee (2018-present)
- National Meeting Abstract Screener (2019)
- Representative from ETSU at National Meeting (2018-2020)
- Gatton College of Pharmacy Admissions Committee (2007-present)
- Gatton College of Pharmacy Awards and Scholarship Committee (2013-present)
- Gatton College of Pharmacy Curriculum Committee (2018-present)
- Faculty Chair of ACPE Self-Study Committee (2014-2016)
ASMS (American Society for Mass Spectrometry)
ACS (American Chemical Society)
AAPS (American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists)
Rho Chi Pharmacy Honor Society