skip to main content columnskip to left navigation

Undergraduate Student Advisement

East Tennessee State University

Early Semester Progress Report

Undergraduate Students 

Early Semester Progress Reports (ESPR) available in GoldLink in early March and early October
ESPR (mid-term) grades are a quick way to confirm how you're doing in your courses and gives you an opportunity to seek resources and improve your final grade. 
ESPR grades were recorded by instructors each fall and spring semesters.

Possible ESPR grades:
A thru F, FN (failing due to non-attendance)
NR (not reported – talk with your instructor about grades)
P (pass)
I (Incomplete)
P (pass) may be used by instructor if no work has been graded in the course so far. 

How to view ESPR Grades in GoldLink?

Go to GoldLink
Log in using your User Name (ETSU domain name) and Password
Select student (left navigation)
Select Grades
Select (current term)
Select GO
View Mid-Term Grades   

What Now? 
1. Talk with instructor(s) about missing grades, unexpected grades and opportunities and strategies for improving final grade. 
2. Seek tutoring (CFAA, 1st floor of Sherrod Library) 
3. Talk with your academic advisor about what is impacting your academic success. ETSU may have resources to help. Don't drop a course without talking with your advisor about options and consequences. 
4. Don't know who your advisor is? Check out Advisor List at: Still have trouble finding your advisors -- contact the ARC for a referral (2nd Level of D.P.Culp Center, 423-439-8650) 
Making wise decisions? 
Verify your schedule? 
Correct any schedule problems now. Complete late add process if needed and verify all earlier course drops. Contact your major advisor for assistance or contact the Registration HelpLine at 423-439-5584.  
Need Tutoring? 
Visit the Center for Academic Achievement (CFAA) website for information about individual tutoring by appointment (sign up online), drop-in tutoring (schedules online) or online tutoring. The CFAA is located on the first floor of the Sherrod Library (423-439-7111).  

How to Find Your Advisor? 

Undeclared students and students who are required to complete Learning Support (in reading or writing, L sections of general education courses) are advised by the University Advisement Center in the ARC (423-439-5244), 2nd level of D.P. Culp Center.
To find the phone number and email address for your major advisor, please check out the online Advisor Contact List

 Need Counseling? 
The Counseling Center (423-439-3333) provides short-term personal counseling. They offer many services from improving stress management, test anxiety, time management, shyness, assertiveness training, improving relationship skills, coping with chemical dependencies, etc. The Counseling Center is located on the upper level of the Culp Center.  

Having Trouble Choosing a Major or Career Path? 
Contact Career Services or visit them in the ARC, 2nd Level of D. P. Culp Center for help exploring your options. 
Should I Drop a Course? 
Students may drop course(s) on GoldLink without permission (see date on academic calendar). Students who need assistance with GoldLink should contact the Registration Help Desk at 423-439-5584 (M-F, 8:00 am 4:30 pm) or visit 102 Burgin Dossett for assistance.  

If a student needs to drop a course (after the drop date above) due to extenuating circumstances they must file a Late Drop Appeal which requires attaching documentation of the extenuating circumstances (circumstances beyond a students’ control). Late Drop Appeals must be approved by the dean of the students college. Failing a course is not considered extenuating circumstances. 
Do not automatically drop courses in which you are dissatisfied with your grade or withdraw from the University. Dropping a course or courses will adversely impact your Financial Aid, Scholarships, Lottery, Housing and Athletic eligibility for this term and future terms. Always check with appropriate offices before dropping a course. Hastily dropping courses can increase the expense and length of time necessary to complete a degree. The grade of W will be recorded and the course will be included in your attempted hours. Students must VERIFY all drops on GoldLink. 

Visit the Financial Aid website for more information about the Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.

You may be able to improve the grade during the remainder of the semester. If not, courses with a grade of C or lower may be repeated in a future semester. The former grade will be excluded (in your GPA calculation) and the most recent grade will be included in computing your adjusted GPA. 

For Lottery Scholarship purposes you can only use one repeat of a class as a replacement grade one time in your college career. Choose your one time wisely. For more information about the Lottery Scholarship rules see the Don't Lose Hope website.

Withdrawing from the University? 
Students may withdraw from all classes until April 26, 2016 before 4:30 pm. Written requests for withdrawal from the university must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar, 101 Dossett Hall before this deadline. Students who stop attending without officially withdrawing will receive an F for each course. Withdrawing will adversely affect financial aid, scholarships, Lottery Scholarships, housing, and athletic eligibility. 
Academic Retention Standards for Baccalaureate Programs
Be aware that a minimum retention standard for your grade point average does exist. It is based on the number of attempted hours. If you are unable to maintain the minimum grade point average, you will be placed on academic probation. If you fall below the required GPA during the term you are on probation, you may be placed on academic suspension. 






icon for left menu icon for right menu