skip to main content columnskip to left navigation

Undergraduate Student Advisement

East Tennessee State University

Frequently Asked Questions
Who is my advisor?

Students who have declared a major should see an advisor in that major.

Students should contact the department of their major for information or contact the Advisement Resource Career Center (ARC) located on the 2nd level of the D.P. Culp Center 423-439-8650 for a referral.  Please see the following link for quick reference advisor contact list for advisor phone numbers and email addresses.

When do I get advised?

All students have an advisor and should confer with their advisor each semester.  In fact, ETSU requires most students consult with an advisor before registering each semester.  The following students must be advised before they are able to register each semester.

What are the important dates to remember?

Here is the link to the current calendar. -

Which classes are required for all degrees?

The General Education Requirements - Colleges and universities use the term "general education" to refer to a common set of course requirements that all students must meet, regardless of their major or career goals. The purpose of general education is to help students acquire a broad foundation of skills and knowledge that will be useful in their personal, professional and civic lives.  Please click here to see the courses required -

What is the Advisement Resource Center (ARC)?

The ARC is a one stop shop for all your Academic Support and Service needs  conveniently located under one roof (D.P. Culp Center, 2nd Level). For more information please click on

Changing majors/minors? 

You will need to contact an advisor for the new major or minor to start the process. Please click here and type in the new major or minor in the advisors search box.

icon for left menu icon for right menu