Dr. Mei’s research involves organic materials synthesis and characterization. Current
projects include three directions:
(1) Fluorinated monomers for electrolyte in proton exchange membrane fuel cells
A series of diazonium (perfluoroalkyl)aryl sulfonyimide (PFSI) zwitterionic monomers
have been synthesized from perfluoro-3, 6-dioxa-4-methyl-7-octene-sulfonyl fluoride
(Nafion®), and perfluoro-3-oxa-4-pentenesulfonyl fluoride (POPF) monomers for the
first time. With trifluorovinyl ether and diazonium precursors, the partially-fluorinated
diazonium monomers can be further polymerized and will provide chemically bonding
with carbon electrode in proton exchange membrane fuel cells. A systematic study of
the synthesis and characterization of these diazonium PFSI monomers has been conducted.
(2) Solid alkylation catalyst systems for petroleum refining
Over the last three decades, the economic and environmental reasons have driven scientists
to develop more efficient and effective solid acid catalysts for alkylation. The solid
support alkylation catalysts, modified by diazonium PFSI zwitterions, are expected
to dramatically increase catalysts stability, activity, and selectivity over a long
period of time. The investigations of perfluorinated polymers as strong acid catalysts
are delayed because of their high cost and environmental problems. Therefore, this
project is emphasizing on innovative environment-friendly nanocomposites with basic
fundamentals, as alternatives to traditional liquid catalysts by grafting thin layer
of PFSI polymer onto nanoparticles. The chemistry along with practical applications
will provide a new direction in the petroleum research academically and industrially.
(3) Theranostic nanoparticles for simultaneous detection and treatment of cancer
The long-term goal is to develop the theranostic nanoparticles (NPs) that will improve
diagnostic and therapeutic efficacy for cancer. Cancer is one of the leading causes
of death worldwide. Two of the major challenges in cancer therapy are enhancing detection
methods to diagnose early-stage cancer and increasing drug specificity to spare healthy
cells. Our hypothesis is that the NPs incorporating QDs, FOL, and anticancer drugs
can provide the novel theranostic solutions for the simultaneous diagnosis and targeted
treatment of cancers.
- Mei,Hua*; Nworie,Chimaroke; Abban,Grace; Alayyaf,Abdulmajeed; MacCloud, Rebecca. “Diazonium
(Perfluoroalkyl) Arylsulfonimide Zwitterionic Monomer Analogues: Effective Synthesis
and Thermal Stability” Int. J. of Hydrogen Energy, 41 (5), 3628-3637, 2016.
- Liu, Bing; Mei, Hua; Desmarteau, Darryl; Creager, Stephen. “Electrochemical Behavior
of Platinum Nanoparticles on a Carbon Xerogel Support Modified with a [(Trifluoromethyl)-benzenesulfonyl]Imide
Electrolyte,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 118 (49),14115-14123, 2014.
- Mei, Hua*; DesMarteau, Darryl D. “Bis(diaryliodonium) perfluorosulfonimide zwitterions
as Photo Acid Generators ,” Journal of Fluorine Chemistry,160, 12-15, 2014.
- Mei, Hua*; D’Andrea, Dan; Nguyen, Tuyet-Trinh; Nworie, Chima. “Synthesis of the Diazonium
(Perfluoroalkyl) Benzenesulfonimide Monomer from Nafion Monomer for Proton Exchange
Membrane Fuel Cells,” Journal of Power Sources, 248, 1177-1180, 2014.
- Mei, Hua; VanDerveer, Don; DesMarteau, Darryl D. “Synthesis of Diazonium (perfluoroalkyl)
benzenesulfonylimide Zwitterions,” Journal of Fluorine Chemistry, 145, 35-40, 2013.
- Volkis, Victoria; Mei, Hua; Michl, Josef. “Method for Copolymerization Isobutylene,”
Application 61/151,437, Patent Applied, 2009.
- Mei, Hua; Douvris, Christos; Volkis, Victoria; Hanefeld, Phillip; Hildebrandt, Nicole;
Michl, Josef. “Radical Copolymerization of Isobutylene and Ethyl Acrylate with Li[CB11Me12]
Catalyst,” Macromolecules, 44 (8), 2552–2558, 2011.
- Volkis, Victoria; Mei, Hua; Shoemaker, Richard K.; Michl, Josef. “LiCB11(CH3)12-Catalyzed
Radical Polymerization of Isobutylene: Highly Branched Polyisobutylene and an Isobutylene−Ethyl
Acrylate Copolymer, ” Journal of the American Chemical Society, 131(9), 3132–3133,
- Creager, Stephen E.; Liu, Bing; Mei, Hua; DesMarteau, Darryl D. “Electrochemical Grafting
of an Aryl Fluorosulfonimide Salt onto Glassy Carbon,” Langmuir, 22 (25), 10747 -10753,
- Wang, Gongying; Yao, Jie; Wang, Yue; Mei, Hua; Gao, Junjie, “Catalyst for Synthesis
of Methyl Phenyl Carbonate by Ester Exchange Method,” Faming Zhuanli Shenqing Gongkai
Shuomingshu (Chinese Patent), 2003.
- Gao, Junjie; Yao, Jie; Mei, Hua; Wang, Gongying. “Transesterification of Dimethyl
Carbonate and Phenol with Titanate Catalysts,” Cuihua Xuebao, 22 (4), 405-407, 2001.