The Department of Communication & Performance offers a BA and a BS in Communication Studies. Students enrolled in the Communication Studies Program as of 2011 and later should consult Degree Works to learn about their requirements for graduation. Students enrolled prior to 2011, should refer to their respective ETSU catalog for your particular degree requirements or consult an advisor.
36 hours are required for the Communication Studies major: 12 credit hours of core courses and 24 credit hours of elective courses. For course descriptions and schedules see Communication Studies in the course catalog.
12 credit hours of core courses:
- SPCH 2330 Communication Theory
- Research Method Elective (choose one)
- SPCH 3300 Qualitative Research Methods
- SPCH 3330 Quantitative Research Methods
- SPCH 3340 Rhetorical Criticism
- Diversity Elective (choose one)
- SPCH 4200 Gender and Communication
- SPCH 4356 Intercultural Communication
- Approved Speech Elective
- Presentation Elective (choose one)
- SPCH 3346 Speaking for Social Change
- SPCH 3380 Communicating in Groups
- SPCH 4346 Business and Professional Communication
24 credit hours of elective courses. At least 18 elective hours must be at the 3000 or 4000 level. Choose from SPCH course offerings, including any unduplicated required course.
- SPCH 2300 Public Speaking
- SPCH 2320 Argumentation & Debate
- SPCH 2550 Communicating in Relationships
- SPCH 2700 Professional Communication & Technology
- SPCH 3350 Interpersonal Communication
- SPCH 3390 Persuasion
- SPCH 4018 Honors Thesis (3-6 credits)
- SPCH 4210 Family Communication
- SPCH 4317 Rhetoric and Public Address
- SPCH 4357 Organizational Communication
- SPCH 4366 Communication Ethics
- SPCH 4377 Health Communication
- SPCH 4380 Communication Studies Internship
- SPCH 4607 Speech Practicum
- SPCH 4900 Independent Studies (1-3 credits)
- SPCH 4956 Summer Topic
- SPCH 4957 Special Topic
Current Undergraduate Course Rotation (pdf) for 2017-2018
For course descriptions and schedules, see Communication Studies in the course catalog.
Total Credits (36 Required): For those declaring Communication Studies as a major on or after the Fall 2007 catalog. Any student wishing to complete a major in Communication Studies using the requirements listed here may do so. Please contact the Department of Communication & Performance for more information.