- Foundations of Storytelling Performance, STOR 5140 (3)
- Advanced Advanced Solo Performance STOR 5230 (3)
- History of Performance Traditions STOR 5890 (3)
- Vocal Training for Professionals STOR 5820 (3)
- Storytelling Practicum STOR 5241 (3)
Electives (6 hours from the following):
- Languages of Storytelling STOR 5190 (3)
- Storytelling Institute STOR 5830 (1-3)
- Story Dramatization STOR 5840 (1-3)
- Story Performance STOR 5850 (1-3)
- Other approved elective courses (1-3)
TOTAL: 21 hours
Apply for the Graduate Certificate in Storytelling
- a Bachelors degree from an accredited institution
- A brief admissions essay (1-2 pp.) stating the significance of storytelling in student's life experience as well as the student's professional and personal goals in storytelling
- All undergraduate and graduate transcripts
- Three letters of recommendation from academic or professional mentors or colleagues
For further information on Graduate Studies at East Tennessee State University, visit the Graduate School website.
Download ETSU Graduate Application forms.
To take courses for credit in the ETSU Storytelling Program, you can apply as a non-degree student, or as a graduate major. Courses taken as a non-degree student will count as transfer courses in the event that you later decide to work towards the degree. A maximum of 9 graduate credit hours are allowed to be transferred towards the degree, whether these hours are taken before or after admission to the degree program.
*Thesis or Capstone Project Prospectus
A proposal paper must be approved by your advisor and graduate committee before enrolling for your Thesis or Capstone hours. This proposal will often (but not always) be developed in your Research Methods course. It lays the groundwork for your thesis or project topic, and includes a proposed methodology, design, justification, limitations, and initial literature/resource review.
- Application and admission
- Start Coursework
Initiate and submit paperwork after 12 hours of coursework:
- Candidacy form
- Appoint Committee Form
- Program of Study Form
- Submit prospectus for thesis or capstone project
- Completion of coursework and thesis or capstone project
- Submit thesis or project, complete oral defense.