The ETSU Music Department is committed to furthering the education, recognition and fostering of gifted young musicians, helping sustain and preserve the essence of our cultural life through audience development and community involvement. Serving pianists ages 0-18, the ETSU music department is committed to nurture the next generation of musicians through its flagship programs: the ETSU Pre-College and the Jim & Sandy Powell International Piano Competition and Festival. By inviting the qualified young aspiring pianists, we strive to create and build a strong musical community that will last a lifetime. By recognizing deserving talents, we offer opportunities to perform in the Tri-Cities area as well as to award in forms of scholarships and monetary awards.
All festival participants are to receive lessons and masterclasses by renowned pianists of our time. The competition is optional for those students ready to challenge oneself and with their peers. All festival participants are recommended to participate and observe the competition as it is another valuable lesson to observe other performances. Other activities including piano ensemble lessons, sessions with guest speakers, career development classes as well as college advise will be given. A detailed schedule and program will be posted soon.
An all-Steinway school, ETSU music department opens its doors to all participants and the family members. We welcome students of all ages to apply to our inaugural ETSU Jim & Sandy Powell International Piano Competitions and Festival.
June 6-9 2018
- Lessons & Masterclasses by the Festival Artists
- Piano Ensemble lessons by the Festival Artists
- Recitals by the Festival Artists
- Elementary Division (0-4 Grade): 1st Place-$300; 2nd Place-$150; 3rd Place- $100
- Junior Division (5-8 Grade): 1st Place- $500; 2nd Place- $300; 3rd Place- $200
- Senior Division (High school): 1st Place- $3000; 2nd place- $1000; 3rd Place- $500 PLUS Scholarships to study at ETSU
- Piano Ensemble (all ages): 1st Place- $1000; 2nd place- $500; 3rd place- $300
- April 15 2018- Application Deadline
- May 1 2018- Notification
- May 15 2018- Confirmation with deposit due
- June 1 2018- Festival Fee due
International Festival Artists
- Jerome Lowenthal
- Chu-Fang Huang
- Benjamin Caton
- Yi-Yang Chen
- Esther Park
Junior Division & Senior Division Preliminary Competition, Piano Ensemble Finals
Masterclass with Seymour Bernstein for Elementary and Piano Ensemble winners
Competition: Final Round for Junior and Senior Division
Masterclass with jury members & Winners Concert
Elementary Category: (1 Round)
3 Different stylistic periods
Junior Category: (1 Rounds)
3 Different stylistic periods, up to 20 minutes of repertoire.
Senior Category: (2 Rounds)
3 Different stylistic periods up to 30 minutes of repertoire.
Piano Ensemble: (1 Rounds)
3 Different stylistic periods, both piano 4 hands AND two piano repertoires allowed.