- Academic Programs/Certificates
- Professional Development Conference
- Self-Care Initiative
- Student Resources
- Contact Us
Social Work Program Accreditation
Who does it?
The Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) is a nonprofit national association representing more than 2,500 individual members, as well as graduate and undergraduate programs of professional social work education. Founded in 1952, this partnership of educational and professional institutions, social welfare agencies, and private citizens is recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation as the sole accrediting agency for social work education in this country. http://www.cswe.org/About.aspx
What does it mean to graduate from an accredited program?
- Accredited programs meet the extensive requirements of the 2008 CSWE Educational Policy and Accreditation Standards. They must demonstrate that the explicit curriculum meets core social work competencies. Graduates will know how to apply ethical principles and critical thinking to social work practice. They will be able to utilize social work research and respond to changing practice contexts. They will be able to effectively engage with members of diverse populations and carry out appropriate assessments and interventions.
- Accredited social work programs must include field experience that appropriately connects theory and practice. Students can be ensured of getting at least 400 hours of field experience in a baccalaureate program and at least 900 in a master's program.
Why is it important to you as a social worker?
In addition to knowing you have an excellent education, most states mandate CSWE accreditation as part of the educational requirement for licensing.
What about ETSU Department of Social Work?
- The BSW Program has been continuously accredited by the CSWE since that organization began accrediting baccalaureate programs in 1974.
- The MSW has been continuously accredited by the CSWE since the program's inception in the fall of 2003.
- To verify our accreditation status, please visit the CSWE Directory of Accredited Programs http://www.cswe.org/17491.aspx