ETSU offers a limited number of scholarships and graduate assistantships. Academic achievement and/or financial need are considered in the selection of each recipient. More information regarding scholarships, grants, and awards can be found here.
James H. Quillen Scholarship
We are proud to have 4 MSW students as recipients for 2014-2015.
Jamie Humbert, Sara Tanner, Jennifer Campbell, and Stephanie Tejeda
The James H. Quillen Scholarship for Graduate Students is scholarship established by the late Congressman James H. ("Jimmy") Quillen to provide financial assistance to deserving undergraduate and graduate students. Graduate students must have a GPA of a 3.0 or higher. Preference will be given to applicants from the following counties in Tennessee: Carter, Claiborne, Cocke, Grainger, Greene, Hamblen, Hancock, Hawkins, Jefferson, Johnson, Knox, Sevier, Sullivan, Unicoi and Washington. Students must have documented financial need and must demonstrate achievement in one or more of these areas: scholastic endeavors, school and community leadership, volunteer services and activities, other extracurricular activities or work experience. Recipients shall be known as "Quillen Scholars".
Ellyn Lancaster Scholarship
SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITY FOR MSW AND BSW STUDENTS!
It is scholarship time again at East Tennessee Foundation. In an effort to reach more students, the criteria for the scholarship has expanded. The new scholarship description is listed below. Scholarship applications will be available on our website, www.easttennesseefoundation.org, beginning November 1, 2016 and the deadline for application submission is February 15, 2017. The scholarship application must be completed and submitted online. Attached here is a copy of the online applicant tutorial.
Ellyn Lancaster Scholarship
- Purpose and History: Established in 2013 to assist adult, non-traditional aged "women in transition" to pursue a Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) or a Masters of Social Work (MSW) degree.
- Scholarship Amount: $1,500 one-time award for 1 year. (amount subject to change)
- Eligibility Requirements:
- Residency Requirement: Washington County, Greene County, or Sullivan County.
- Education Requirement: Returning adult student: high school graduate or GED recipient, or current college student.
- Field of Study: Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) or Masters of Social Work (MSW.)
- GPA Minimum: Not applicable.
- College/Enrollment Requirement: Full-time enrollment at East Tennessee State University pursuing a Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) of Masters of Social Work (MSW) degree.
- Must demonstrate financial need.
- Scholarship applications available on our website.
- Deadline for application submission is February 15, 2017.
Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns at firstname.lastname@example.org or toll-free at
Department of Social Work
The Department of Social Work also provides limited financial support. The following links provide more information regarding graduate assistantships and field agency stipends.
The goal of a graduate assistantship (GA) is to enhance the ability of the student
to complete her or his graduate degree. When at all possible, work assignments made
to graduate assistants and other service obligations should reinforce their educational
GA positions are available in the social work department as well as other areas on campus. Full-time Graduate Assistants perform twenty hours of service per week and half-time Graduate Assistants perform ten hours of service per week for their entire contract period. GA contracts for the academic year extend from August 10th, two weeks prior to the beginning of the Fall semester and proceed every week, except the week between Christmas and New Year's, to May 16th. Within the social work department, GA positions carry a 10-hour per week commitment. This may not sound like a great deal, but this is in addition to the requirements of your courses.
For out-of-state students, a GA position will often offer tuition reduction to the in-state rate, in addition to the stipend award. To remain eligible, one must carry a 9-credit hour course load.
More information regarding graduate assistantships and available positions on campus are available here.
Field Agency Stipends