Professor and Graduate Studies Coordinator
|Course level||Course Name|
|Undergrad||Qualitative Field Research|
|Undergrad||Gender & Society|
|Undergrad/Grad||Symbolic Interaction/Social Psychology|
|Undergrad/Grad||Race, Class, & Gender in Film|
|Grad||Work & Occupations|
- CURRENT RESEARCH
- I’m currently writing about popular rhetorics of resistance to non-sexist language, with Sherryl Kleinman (UNC Chapel Hill) and Kalah Wilson (North Carolina State University). My areas of research interest are the reproduction of social inequalities, social identities, qualitative methods, the sociology of work, and the sociology of emotions. I’m also interested in how scholars in a variety of academic fields engage in collaborative research—the norms, benefits, costs, and unexpected turns. I enjoy encouraging students (and myself) to practice sociological mindfulness in and out of the classroom.
- SELECTED PUBLICATIONS
Kleinman, Sherryl and Martha Copp.1993. Emotions and Fieldwork. Sage. (Translated into Japanese, 2006).
- Fields, Jessica and Martha Copp. 2015. "Striving for Empathy: Affinities, Alliances, and Peer Sexuality Educators." Sex Education 15(2):188-203.
- Kleinman, Sherryl and Martha Copp. 2009. "Denying Social Harm: Students' Resistance to Lessons about Inequality." Teaching Sociology 37(3):283-293.
- Copp, Martha and Sherryl Kleinman. 2008. "Practicing What We Teach: Feminist Strategies for Teaching about Sexism." Feminist Teacher 18(2):101-124.
- Fields, Jessica, Martha Copp, and Sherryl Kleinman. 2006. "Symbolic Interactionism, Inequality, and Emotions." Pp. 155-178 in Handbook of the Sociology of Emotions, edited by Jan E. Stets and Jonathan H. Turner. New York: Springer.
- Kleinman, Sherryl, Martha Copp, and Kent L. Sandstrom. 2006. "Making Sexism Visible: Birdcages, Martians, and Pregnant Men." Teaching Sociology 34(2):126-142.
- Copp, Martha. 2004. "Negotiated Order." Pp. 525-529 in The Encyclopedia of Social Theory, edited by George Ritzer. Sage.
- Copp, Martha. 1998. "Adult 'Adolescents': Social Control of Sexuality and Adulthood in People with Developmental Disabilities." Sociological Analysis 1(3):113-135.
- Copp, Martha. 1998. "When Emotion Work is Doomed to Fail: Ideological and Structural Constraints on Emotion Management." Symbolic Interaction 21(3):299-328.
- Kleinman, Sherryl, Martha Copp, and Karla Henderson. 1997. "Qualitatively Different: Teaching Fieldwork to Graduate Students." Journal of Contemporary Ethnography 25(4):469-99.
- Sociology MA Program: Graduate Studies Coordinator
- Thesis chair for approximately 30 MA thesis committees.