Dr. Foster is also the Director of the Applied Social Research Lab (ASRL) at ETSU and has over 15 years experience as a survey research methodologist. She came to ETSU in 2012 from The University of Georgia where she spent 7 years specializing in survey research at the Carl Vinson Institute of Government and 3 years focusing on health-related survey methodology at The College of Public Health. She is primarily a quantitative researcher and has both education and expertise in research methodology, including survey research, questionnaire design, health-related survey methodology, new technologies in research methodology, and statistical analysis.
She is also trained and experienced in qualitative research including focus group moderation, in-person interviewing, and qualitative analysis. Dr. Foster served 2 years on the executive council for the American Association of Public Opinion Research (AAPOR), the leading organization for survey researchers in this country, and continues to be active with the organization. She is past-president for the Southern chapter of AAPOR. Dr. Foster has worked extensively with local and state governments on public opinion polling and citizen engagement.
|Grad||Survey Research Methods|
|Grad||Applied Data Analysis|
|Undergrad/Grad||Health, Medicine, and Culture|
- Social Media
- LinkedIn Profile
- Current Research
- Broadly speaking, my research interests are in social science research methodologies and also public and community health. On the methodologist side, I am particularly interested survey research methods and new technologies in research methodologies. I am active in the American Association of Public Opinion Research (AAPOR) and have served on the executive council for both AAPOR and SAPOR (the southern chapter of AAPOR). Currently my methods research focuses on the use of virtual environments for data collection and the viability of using social media as a data collection tool. My interest in public health focuses on health disparities, how individuals access health information technology, and the role that social media and individuals have on family healthcare decision making. I am interested in exploring the ways in which Appalachian families in particular are influenced by technology and social media in making healthcare decisions.
- Selected Publications
- 2011 Foster, Kelly N. I don't smoke...but my avatar does! Understanding the unique opportunities and challenges when collecting health related data in virtual environments. Published proceedings of the 10th Annual Health Survey Research Methods Conference. Atlanta, Georgia.
- Foster, Kelly N. and Leah M. Christian. 2008. F-Test. Encyclopedia of Survey Research Methods. Sage Publications.
- Christian, Leah M. and Kelly N. Foster. 2008. Multi-Mode Surveys. Encyclopedia of Survey Research Methods. Sage Publications.
- Selected Applied Reports
- 2014 Foster, Kelly N and Morgan Jones. United Way of Bristol TN/VA: Community Needs Assessment 2014. Johnson City: Applied Social Research Laboratory, East Tennessee State University
- 2013 McCallister, Leslie, Kelly N. Foster, Stephanie Elliott and Reagan Barbee. Community & Business Surveys. Report on the Findings of the Annual Community & Business surveys conducted for the TCCRP grant. Johnson City: Applied Social Research Laboratory, East Tennessee State University
- 2014. Foster, Kelly and Morgan Jones. Report on Community Findings for Expanded Services in Erwin TN. Report delivered to Erwin Utilities to determine the extent to which the community supports expanding services. Johnson City: Applied Social Research Laboratory, East Tennessee State University
- 2014. Foster, Kelly. Annual report to State of Tennessee Office of Criminal Justice Programs. Report on all outcomes measures for the 18 programs evaluated under the Targeted Community Crime Reduction Program (TCCRP) grant. Johnson City: Applied Social Research Laboratory, East Tennessee State University
- 2009. Byers, Jacqueline, Angela R. Fertig, Kelly N. Foster and Tamar Gabunia. 2009. County Health Benefits Study. Prepared in cooperation with The National Association of Counties. Athens: Carl Vinson Institute of Government, University of Georgia.
- American Association for Public Opinion Research (AAPOR)
- American Sociological Association (ASA)
- Southern Association for Public Opinion Outreach (SAPOR)
- Association of Academic Survey Research Organizations (AASRO)
- 2015 American Association for Public Opinion Research. Sponsorship Subcommittee Chair
- 2010 American Association for Public Opinion Research. Executive Council: Membership & Chapter Relations Chair
- 2009 American Association for Public Opinion Research. Executive Council: Membership & Chapter Relations A. Chair
- 2008 Southern Association for Public Opinion Research. Executive Council: President.
- 2007 Southern Association for Public Opinion Research. Executive Council: Vice President
- 2006 Southern Association for Public Opinion Research. Executive Council: Conference Chair
- 2005 Southern Association for Public Opinion Research. Executive Council: Conference Vice-Chair