What is job shadowing?
Job shadowing experiences allow you to spend a short, concentrated period of time with an employer to learn more about a particular career. Through observation, a job shadowing experience may provide you with insight into:
- A typical day in the life a particular employee;
- Hours of work;
- Work flows;
- Project management;
- Employee interactions;
- Corporate culture;
- Management styles;
- Team-based decision-making;
- Other aspects of a particular work environment.
When approaching an employer about the possibility of job shadowing, create a formal proposal addressing the following:
- Your objective(s) for the job shadowing experience;
- Your time frame for the shadowing experience--1 week, two weeks, or longer;
- Proposed hours to be onsite;
- What you hope to observe, learn;
- Your contact information; attach a resume to your proposal, if possible;
- An acknowledgement that the employer is not obligated to hire you--either as an intern or as a full-time employee.
Don't forget to thank the employer for his/her time in evaluating your proposal.