Ethics Centers & Educational Courses
The name of each ethics center is a link that redirects to its specific webpage. Click the link to open it in a new tab.
- American Society for Information Science - Since 1937, this has been the society for information professionals leading the search for new and better theories, techniques, and technologies to improve access to information.
- ASME - The American Society of Mechanical Engineers International Vision Statememt: To be the premier organization for promoting the art, science and practice of mechanical engineering throughout the world.
- British Computer Society - The Chartered Engineering Institution for Information Systems Engineering
- Center for Professional Ethics - Case Western University
- Center for the Study of Ethics of in the Profession (CSEP) - Established in 1976 at the Illinois Institute of Technology for the purpose of promoting education and scholarship relating to the professions.
- Centre for Applied Ethics University of British Columbia - These pages feature information about numerous sub-disciplines of Applied Ethics, including Health Care Ethics, Business Ethics, Professional Ethics, Environmental Ethics, Media Ethics, and Computer Ethics.
- Centre for Computing and Social Responsibility - This centre's mission is to undertake research and provide teaching, consultancy and advice to individuals, communities, organisations and governments at local, national and international levels on the actual and potential impacts of computing and related technologies on society and its citizens.
- Computer Ethics Institute - A 501(c)(3) research, education and policy study organization active at the interface of advances in information technologies, ethics and corporate and public policy.
- Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility - A public-interest alliance of computer scientists and others concerned about the impact of computer technology on society. We work to influence decisions regarding the development and use of computers because those decisions have far-reaching consequences and reflect our basic values and priorities.
- Corporate Office of Ethics and Business Conduct - Lockheed Martin created this center as tangible evidence of its commitment to an ethical work environment for all those to whom we have an obligation.
- Cyberspace Policy Institute - Established in October 1993 as a center for GW and the Washington area for the analysis of policy problems which have a significant technological component.
- Defense Industry Initiative On Business Ethics And Conduct - DII is a consortium of U.S. defense industry contractors which subscribes to a set of principles for achieving high standards of business ethics and conduct.
- Electronic Frontier Foundation - A non-profit organization working in the public interest to protect privacy, free expression, and democracy online.
- Electronic Privacy Information Center - A public interest research center in Washington, D.C. It was established in 1994 to focus public attention on emerging civil liberties issues and to protect privacy, the First Amendment, and constitutional values.
- Ethics Center for Engineering & Science - The mission of the Ethics Center is to provide engineers, scientists, science and engineering students with resources useful for understanding and addressing ethically significant problems that arise in their work life.
- Ethics Resource Center - A nonprofit, nonpartisan educational organization visioning an ethical world through three distinct areas of expertise: Business/organizational ethics consulting; Character education; and, Ethics information clearinghouse.
- Ethics Updates - Designed primarily to be used by ethics instructors and their students. It is intended to provide updates on current literature, both popular and professional, that relates to ethics.
- Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST) - Brings together a variety of computer security incident response teams from government, commercial, and academic organizations.
- FASE (Fundamental Approaches to Software Engineering) - Started in 1991 by members of the software engineering education community in order to have a electronic forum for the dissemination and discussion of events related to software engineering education.
- IEEE Ethics Committee - The Ethics Committee advises the Board of Directors on ethics policy and concerns as well as fostering awareness on ethical issues and promoting ethical behavior amongst individuals and organizations working within the IEEE fields of interest.
- Institute for Business and Professional Ethics - One of the first ethics-related resources to pioneer a hypertext linked ethics network throughout the Internet.
- Institute for Global Ethics - An independent, nonprofit, nonsectarian, and nonpartisan organization dedicated to elevating public awareness and promoting the discussion of ethics in a global context.
- Markkula Center for Applied Ethics - Located at Santa Clara University and established in 1986, the mission of the center is to heighten ethical awareness and improve ethical decision-making on campus and in the community at large.
- Murdough Center for Engineering Professionalism - The primary goal of the Murdough Center is to increase the awareness of an engineer's professional and ethical responsibilities. (Located at Texas Tech University)
- Netcheck Commerce Bureau - Established to promote ethical business practices worldwide and to increase consumer and corporate confidence in purchasing products and services on the Internet.
- NIEE Home Page - The National Institute for Engineering Ethics was created by the National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE) in July 1988 and remained within NSPE until July 1996, at which time NIEE became an independent not-for-profit educational corporation.
- Poynter Center - An endowed ethics research center at Indiana University-Bloomington.
- Research Center on Computing and Society - Home page of the research center on computing and society at Southern Connecticut State University
- SIGCAS - Brings together computer professionals, specialists in other fields, and the public at large to address concerns and raise awareness about the ethical and societal impact of computers.
- UBC Centre for Applied Ethics - Home Page of the University of British Columbia's Centre for Applied Ethics
- Western Michigan University Ethics Center - The purpose of WMU's Center for the Study of Ethics is to encourage and support research, teaching, and service to the university and community in areas of applied and professional ethics. These areas include, but are not restricted to: business, education, engineering, government, health and human services, law, media, medicine, science and technology.
The course title, where available, is a link that redirects to the syllabus of that particular course. Click the link to open it in a new tab.
|(De-) Coding the Drone||Bard College||Keith O'Hara|
|AI Safety, Ethics, and Policy||Columbia University||Chad DeChant|
|Artificial Intelligence||Brown University||George Konidaris|
|Artificial Intelligence- Philosophy, Ethics, and Impact||Stanford University||Jerry Kaplan|
|Computers and Society||Columbia University||Steven M. Bellovin|
|Computers and Society||Bucknell University||L. Felipe Perrone|
|Computers, Ethics, and Public Policy||Stanford University||Allison Berke, Keith Winstein|
|Computing and Society||University of Lisbon||Mário J Silva|
|Computing for the socio-technical web||Wellesley College||Catherine Grevet Delcourt|
|Data and Ethics||UC Berkeley||Anna Lauren Hoffmann|
|Data: past, present, and future||Columbia University||Matt Jones and Chris Wiggins|
|Economics, Law and Ethics||University of Cambridge||Ross Anderson|
|Ethics and Social Issues in AI||Cornell University||Joseph Halpern, Bart Selman|
|Ethics for Engineers||Massachusetts Institute of Technology||Bernhardt L Trout|
|Ethics in an Age of Technology||UC Davis||varies|
|Ethics of Artificial Intelligence||University of Edinburgh||Mark Sprevak|
|Ethics, Law & Profession of CS||Univ. Complutense de Madrid||Samer Hassan <firstname.lastname@example.org>
|Foundations of Internet Policy||Massachusetts Institute of Technology||Daniel Weitzner, Harold Abelson, Michael Fisher|
|Human/Algorithm Interaction||Northwestern University||Mike DeVito (Winter 2018)|
|Information Ecosystems||University of Colorado Boulder||Casey Fiesler|
|Information Ethics and Privacy in the Age of Big Data||Montana State University||Scott W. H. Young and Sara Mannheimer|
|Information Technology Ethics||University of Wisconsin Milwaukee|
|Introduction to Digital Information||University of Wisconsin Madison||Dorothea Salo|
|Introduction to Law and Ethics in LST||Swiss Federal Institute of Technology||Gaia Barazetti, Dominique Sprumont|
|Life, Computers, and Everything||Bucknell University||L. Felipe Perrone|
|Literature & Digital Diversity||Northeastern University||Elizabeth Maddock Dillon & Sarah Connell|
|Professional Ethics in Computing||California State University Fullerton||Beth Harnick-Shapiro|
|Programming Abstractions and Social Good||Stanford University||J. Cain|
|Social Implications of Computer Technology||UC Berkeley||Various|
|Social, Ethical and Professional Issues in Computing||Bemidji State University||Marty J. Wolf|
|Social, Ethical, and Legal Implications of Computing||Portland State University||Ellie Harmon (Winter 2018)|
|Sociology of Social Media||UC Berkeley||Stuart Geiger (Summer 2014)|
|The Social Life of Computing||UC Berkeley||Shreeharsh Kelkar|
|Time/Machine||Bucknell University||L. Felipe Perrone and Michael Drexler|
|Topics in Introductory Programming: Social Inquiry||Haverford College||Sorelle Friedler|
|Sociotechnical Perspectives of Information Systems||University of British Columbia||Richard Arias-Hernandez|
|Advanced Interaction & Service Design Concepts||Carnegie Mellon||Dan Lockton and Ahmed Ansari|
|AI & the Future of Work||Georgetown University||Mark MacCarthy|
|Behind the Data: Humans and Values||UC Berkeley||Deirdre Mulligan, Nathan Good, Anna Lauren Hoffmann, Morgan G. Ames|
|Big Data, Policy, and Ethics||UC Berkeley||Various|
|Data, Politics, & Power: Critical and Ethical Perspectives on Big Data and Algorithms||University of Washington||Anna Lauren Hoffmann|
|Deconstructing Data Science||UC Berkeley||David Bamman|
|Digital Citizenship, Open Access Course||University of Alaska||Jason Ohler|
|Digital Ethics||University of Central Florida||Jonathan Beever|
|Engineering Ethics||Massachusetts Institute of Technology||Taft Broome|
|Ethical & Legal Issues of Data Analytics||Duke Fuqua School of Business||Salman Azhar|
|Ethical Foundations for Information Security||Fachhochschule St. Pölten||Davi Ottenheimer|
|Ethics in NLP||University of Washington||Emily Bender|
|Ethics of Big Data||Fachhochschule St. Pölten||Davi Ottenheimer|
|Exploring the ethical questions of new technology||University of Washington||Katy Pearce|
|Fairness in Machine Learning||UC Berkeley||Moritz Hardt|
|Frontier AI & Robotics: Law & Ethics||Duke Law||Jeff Ward|
|Global Internet Freedom||Georgetown University||Leslie Harris|
|Governing Emerging Technologies||Georgetown University||Mark MacCarthy, Meg Leta Jones|
|ICT Law & Policy||Georgetown University||Meg Leta Jones, Leslie Harris|
|Information Ethics||University of Maryland College Park||Various|
|Information Law and Policy||UC Berkeley||Deirdre Mulligan|
|International/Comparative Privacy & Surveillance||Georgetown University||Meg Leta Jones|
|Media Ethics Leadership||Fielding Graduate University||Jason Ohler|
|Media, Algorithms & Platform Publics||University of Southern California||Mike Ananny & Colin Maclay|
|Policy and Ethics for Digital Curation||University of Maryland College Park||Katie Shilton|
|Privacy and Security Lab||UC Berkeley||Chris Hoofnagle|
|Privacy Law for Technologists||UC Berkeley||Chris Hoofnagle|
|Purdue's Reflective & Interactive Modules for Engineering Ethics||Purdue University||Andrew Brightman and colleagues|
|Robotics Law and Policy||University of Washington||Ryan Calo|
|Seminar in Critical Algorithm Studies||TU Wien||Various|
|Social and Economic Challenges of Artificial Intelligence||Sciences Po Paris||Nicolas Miailhe|
|Social Issues of Information||UC Berkeley||Various|
|Technology and Delegation||UC Berkeley||Deirdre Mulligan|
|Computational Ethics for NLP||Carnegie Mellon||Yulia Tsvetkov, Alan Black|
|Ethics for CS & EE||Oregon Health & Science University||Jill Dolata, Steven Bedrick|