Using Information Technology (UIT) Proficiency Requirement
What it is, how to meet it
All students must demonstrate proficiency in information technology (basic computer skills) as a condition for graduating from ETSU.
Satisfying the UIT requirement
How to do this
ETSU's using information technology (UIT) proficiency requirement can be met in one of three ways:
- by successfully completing CSCI 1100
- by transferring in a course from another accredited institution that has been determined to be equivalent to CSCI 1100
- by passing the UIT Proficiency Exam
When to do this
The UIT Proficiency Exam
What it is
The UIT Proficiency Exam is provided as an alternative to taking CSCI 1100. It's intended for students who have already developed the skills that CSCI 1100 covers -- e.g., through job training, previous education, and/or experience.
What it entails
The exam requires a modern Internet browser. It has three sections: a multiple choice section that covers Windows 10 and Microsoft Office 365; a Microsoft Word practicum; and an Excel practicum.
The exam is pass/fail (P/F). To pass, students must score of 70 or above for each of these three sections. Scoring below a 70 in any section will result in a failure of the entire proficiency exam.
Passing the exam provides no credit hours on a student's transcript -- but does fulfill ETSU's UIT proficiency requirement.
What it costs
There is no charge for the on-ground proficiency exam.
Who may not take the exam
Students who may not take the exam include the following:
- Students who have taken CSCI 1100
- Students who are currently in the midst of taking CSCI 1100 -- i.e., who were enrolled in CSCI 1100 at any time when classes were meeting after the start of the current semester's classes
- Students who have already taken and failed the UIT proficiency exam
These students must complete CSCI 1100 to satisify the UIT requirement.
Who may take the exam
Students who are not excluded from taking the UIT proficiency exam may take the exam
ONCE. This includes students who have enrolled in CSCI 1100 but who have not yet
started an 1100 class.
- Students who pass this exam before the start of classes will have completed their UIT obligation; they may then drop CSCI 1100.
- Once classes start, these students become ineligible to take the exam; to satisfy the UIT requirement, they must then complete CSCI 1100.
- Obtain free access to Microsoft Office 365
- UIT Proficiency Exam Study Guide
- Sign-up to take the UIT Proficiency Exam