Dr. Allan D. Spritzer
Allen and Ruth Harris Chair of Excellence in Business
Dr. Al Spritzer is holder of the Allen and Ruth Harris Chair of Excellence in Business at East Tennessee State University.
He has held the Harris Chair of Excellence since May 1999. He is also a professor of management in the Department of Management and Marketing of ETSU's College of Business and Technology.
Dr. Spritzer came to East Tennessee in 1981 from Tuscaloosa, Alabama to become dean
of the ETSU College of Business. In Alabama, he served on the management faculty of
the University of Alabama for 13 years, the last five as assistant dean of the business
- During Dr. Spritzer's eighteen years as dean of the ETSU College of Business, the
school achieved significant improvements in curriculum offerings, faculty expertise,
research productivity, regional business community support and national recognition
for the high quality of its programs in business administration and accounting. Among
Spritzer's major accomplishments as dean, was the attainment of initial and continuing accreditation by AACSB International - The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business.
- Dr. Spritzer's education includes a doctoral degree from Cornell University, a master's degree from the University
of Illinois and a bachelor's degree from City College of New York.
- His employment experience includes positions as a labor economist with the U.S. Department of Labor in Washington,
DC. He has served as an arbitrator in a number of union-management disputes and as
a consultant to many public and private sector organizations.
- Dr. Spritzer's areas of academic and professional interest include industrial and
labor relations and human resources management. Drawing upon his years of experience
as a business school dean, Dr. Spritzer's recent specialty has been the management
of business schools and other high-talent organizations.
- His teaching at ETSU and previous universities has focused on an array of courses taught in the field of industrial and labor relations. He currently teaches ETSU's graduate
and advanced undergraduate level courses in Collective Bargaining and Negotiation
and Conflict Resolution.
- During his years as business dean and now as holder of the Allen and Ruth Harris Chair
of Excellence in Business, Dr. Spritzer has engaged in extensive public service and
outreach activities. These are in pursuit of the objectives of increasing the linkage
between ETSU and the regional business community, and enhancing the reputation of
ETSU as a high-quality university. These activities include membership on the boards of directors and external committees of a number of organizations, as well as involvement on AACSB International committees and other affiliations.
- Dr. Spritzer's activities include numerous economic development involvements at the
state, regional and local levels. He has served as chair of the Johnson City Development
Authority and he serves as a board member or in other leadership capacities for a
number of economic development organizations.
- In recent years, Dr. Spritzer has been significantly involved with AACSB International
accreditation and conference activities. In addition to his committee memberships,
his AACSB accreditation-related activities have given him the opportunity to visit and to share his expertise as a peer review
team member, advisor or consultant to several dozen business schools seeking to achieve
or maintain AACSB accreditation.
- Since 2001, Dr. Spritzer has developed and provided leadership for a New Deans Seminar offered annually by AACSB International. This seminar has consistently received the
highest ratings among AACSB International seminar offerings. Over 250 new deans have
completed the program.
- In conjunction with the New Deans Seminar, Dr. Spritzer produced, directed and edited
a 95-minute documentary video, Deans on Deaning: Secrets of Success, featuring highlights of interviews with 28 successful business deans who share their
insights and wisdom on the role of the dean. Sale of the video by AACSB has resulted
in royalties contributed to ETSU for business faculty development.
- Dr. Spritzer's interests in labor relations, AACSB accreditation and the management
of business schools have resulted in a number of professional program presentations on these and related topics.
- His research activities have resulted in a number of publications, papers and monographs that have contributed to his fields of interest. His writings have appeared in such
journals as Industrial Relations, Industrial and Labor Relations Review, the Alabama
Law Review, the Labor Law Journal and the Journal of Collective Negotiations in the
- Based upon his knowledge of the field of management and his eighteen years experience
as dean of business at ETSU, Dr. Spritzer authors a series of popular articles on management and career issues that appear in The Business Journal of Tri-Cities
Tennessee/Virginia and BizEd.
- Dr. Spritzer has received many honors, awards and recognitions. Among these are election to such honorary and leadership societies as Omicron Delta Kappa, Omicron Delta Epsilon, Phi Kappa Phi and Beta Gamma Sigma. He is listed in the current editions of Who's Who in America and Who's Who in American Education . He has been named by The Business Journal of Tri-Cities Tennessee/Virginia as one of the 25 top executives in the region.