Responsibilities of the University Supervisor
The university supervisor is a member of the staff of East Tennessee State University and serves as a liaison between the residency candidate and the mentor teacher. The supervisor assists the residency candidate in the following ways:
In becoming a caring professional
· Provide an example by modeling behaviors of support, interest, and concern for the residency candidate’s professional growth and development.
· Establish and maintain communication between residency candidate and mentor.
· Works closely with the Director of Field Experiences and Residency and the academic departments to maintain good public relations and communications with all personnel involved in the residency program.
· Arrange an introductory visit with residency candidates before or during the first week of the residency experience during which all the expectations and responsibilities will be discussed by going over the evaluation instruments and answering any questions. An orientation meeting with the mentor will also take place by the first week of each placement.
· Help the mentor teacher in guiding the residency candidate through a successful and rewarding experience.
· Aid the residency candidate in gaining self-confidence and provide sympathetic understanding and professional coaching to help alleviate the tensions that often accompany residency placement.
In becoming an effective practitioner
· Act as a resource and an instructional guide by recommending strategies, techniques, books, videos, journal articles, and other resources that may assist the residency candidate in his/her practice.
· Assist the residency candidate in gaining meaningful school-wide experiences during the Residency II experience.
· Visit the residency candidate in the classroom for observations and feedback according to the visitation schedule for Residency I and Residency II. An observation form is completed during each visit.
· Confer with the residency candidate following each observation. The university supervisor shares all notes and reports prepared as a result of the observation with the residency candidate.
· Confer with the mentor teacher during each visit to receive progress reports (Mentor Quick-Check Form and observations that have been completed by mentor).
· If a situation demands additional visits, the university supervisor is responsible for informing the residency candidate and arranging the additional visits.
· Complete a Development Plan if a situation warrants, in collaboration with the mentor and residency candidate, and provides additional guidance and support to address the situation.
In becoming a critical thinker
· Encourages the residency candidate to question his/her behaviors as well as the behaviors of the students in the classroom.
Visits and Evaluation Schedule
See the Observation and Evaluation Schedule for information regarding Supervisor visits.