- COM Home
- About Us
- Faculty Development & Resources
- Student Information
- Visiting Students
- Center for Experiential Learning (CEL)
- Rural Programs
- Medical Student Education Committee
- Institutional Educational Objectives
- Report a Concern/Complaint
- Contact Us
USMLE STEP 1
WHAT IS IT?
"Step 1 assesses whether medical students or graduates understand and can apply important concepts of the sciences basic to the practice of medicine, with special emphasis on principles and mechanisms underlying health, disease, and modes of therapy. Step 1 ensures mastery of not only the sciences that provide a foundation for the safe and competent practice of medicine in the present, but also the scientific principles required for maintenance of competence through lifelong learning."*
WHERE DO I FIND THE MOST CURRENT INFORMATION?
Review the USMLE website http://www.usmle.org for information on each Step exam and practice materials.
Review sample tests, take a self-assessment exam and view important procedural information on the NBME Examination Services link: http://www.nbme.org/students/licensing.html.
HOW DO I REGISTER FOR THE EXAM?
1. Obtain form by going to this web site http://www.nbme.org/students/index.html. Print your form and
2. Obtain signatures from Carol Plummer or Sherry Bailey in Student Records (2nd floor Stanton-Gerber Hall).
3. Register to take the exam: visit the Prometric Center website http://www.prometric.com to identify testing locations and schedule an appointment. From the Academic, Professional, Government& Corporate drop down list select United States Licensing Exam: Step 1 or Step 2. Or call at 1-800-633-3926 (1-800-MED-EXAM)
BY WHEN DO I NEED TO TAKE THE EXAM?
Students are required to pass STEP 1 before beginning their Junior Year. Please refer to the USMLE Section of the Student Handbook policy.