- About the School
- Graduate Programs
- Graduate Coordinators
- Graduate Office Staff
- Scholarships, Grants, and Assistantships
- Strategic Plan
- Important Dates
- Information & Tours
- Contact Us
The goal of the Thesis/Dissertation Scholarships is to support and encourage timely graduation of students who are writing their thesis and dissertation.
The scholarship is limited to one semester (the expected final semester) and is not renewable.
The scholarship is a tuition discount, not a cash award and provides the tuition (in-state maintenance fee and out-of-state tuition) for 1-6 credits of Thesis/Dissertation and/or Readings and Research. The student is responsible for all other fees and charges.
The student must be admitted to candidacy (completed Candidacy and Advisory Committee forms must have been submitted to the graduate school).
Applicants may not hold a graduate assistantship (GA) or tuition scholarship (TS) concurrently with this scholarship.
Applicants may not hold an ETSU scholarship that assists with out-of-state tuition (e.g. Carter, Gilbreath, International Merit, etc.) concurrently with this scholarship.
Application Instructions and Required Materials
Applications are to be submitted to the School of Graduate Studies using the online application form. In addition, the following materials must be included as attachments with the application:
- A letter from the student that includes a detailed timeline outlining progress towards
completion, including the anticipated defense and graduation dates.
- A letter of support from the thesis/dissertation committee chair that includes the
- a detailed description of support needed (time, writing, etc.).
- a description of how the scholarship would benefit the student's progress.
- a statement that the committee chair as read and agrees with the student’s proposed timeline, especially with regard to the anticipated defense and graduation dates.
- Copy of the most recent draft of the thesis/dissertation manuscript. If one does not yet exist, then a copy of the proposal/prospectus.
All materials must be submitted by the following deadlines:
- Fall Semester - July 1
- Spring Semester - November 1
- Summer Semester - April 1
Monthly reports must be submitted through the scholarship’s Desire2Learn (D2L, elearn.etsu.edu) site until the thesis/dissertation is complete (even if after the end of the scholarship semester) and accepted by the Electronic Thesis and Dissertation (ETD) system.
If the student will not finish before the end of the scholarship semester, the last report for the semester must include a description of progress towards finishing the thesis/dissertation and an updated timeline for defense and graduation.
All but the final report should include the most recent draft of the thesis/dissertation manuscript.
The final report must include a description of when the benchmarks listed in the timeline on the application were reached.