Television Setup Instructions
ETSU Cable TV operates on a fully digital system. Your digital television must have a QAM (Quadrature Amplitude Modulation) tuner built-in in order to work with the school's cable service. For more information, see our TV requirements page.
Installing Your TV
Many newer televisions do not require any special installation to work with the ETSU cable television system. Before you call the Information Technology Services Help Desk, please read and follow these steps:
- Check to assure that the television is connected to an electrical outlet and to the cable coax outlet. To connect the TV and cable outlet you will need a coaxial cable. These cables are usually available at any electronics retailer.
- If you have a remote control, make sure it is working.
- If you do not receive all of the channels listed on the channel lineup, your TV may
need to be setup and programmed.
All modern televisions have similar setup steps to prepare them to receive cable channels. Please refer to your owner's manual for steps specific to our TV model.
- Press the "Power" button to turn on the TV.
- Press the "Menu" button.
- Select "Setup".
- Select "Antenna" then "Cable".
- Select "Auto Program / Auto Tune" then "OK"
What can I do if my TV does not receive the digital signal?
If your TV is not capable of receiving a digital signal your choice will be to either purchase a new TV or Digital Set Top Box in order to view the digital programming. Our cable TV provider has recommended the following Set Top Boxes:
iView 3500STB II
Technicolor DCI 401
I have a QAM receiver but I do not receive any channels. What do I do?
You need to "scan" your channels. This is generally done from the setup menu on your TV or your external receiver. This will take a few minutes to complete and then you will see all the channels again.
Who should I contact if for help with my cable television?
Please call the ITS Help Desk at 439-4648 or e-mail email@example.com. You may also stop by the ITS Help Desk on the first floor of the Sherrod Library (room 105 just inside the main entrance and to the right).