Title Code: 7415
Occ. Group: 331.700
Security Officer 1
Skill Level: 5
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Expectations for All Employees
East Tennessee State University pursues its mission based upon core values. An employee's job performance must support and exhibit the university's core values:
PEOPLE come first, are treated with dignity and respect, and are encouraged to achieve their
RELATIONSHIPS are built on honesty, integrity and trust;
DIVERSITY of people and thought is respected;
EXCELLENCE is achieved through teamwork, leadership, creativity, and a strong work ethic;
EFFICIENCY is achieved through wise use of human and financial resources; and COMMITMENT to intellectual achievement is embraced.
Work performed in investigating crimes and accidents, protecting property, facilities, citizens, staff and students by law enforcement
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
Patrols the campus by foot, bicycle or motor vehicle
Investigates suspected crimes, reports findings, and arrests suspected individuals
Investigates accidents involving persons or property, reports probable cause of accidents, and pursues appropriate course of action
Directs and controls traffic
Testifies in court or legal proceedings
Issues citations for traffic and parking violations
Operates and maintains law enforcement equipment
Keeps records and makes reports
Performs other work as assigned
All incumbents are expected to perform these functions except for those qualifying under the Americans with Disabilities Act for a reasonable accommodation.
These functions may vary by institution.
Incumbents may provide backup to various functions within the unit.
May be required to perform related clerical tasks as assigned.
Performs other work as assigned.
Employees work under general supervision. Advice and guidance are available from the supervisor as needed for complex issues or exceptions to policy.
Meets the requirements of TCA 38-8-106, Qualifications of Police Officers:
(1) Be at least eighteen (18) years of age;
(2) Be a citizen of the United States;
(3) Be a high school graduate or possess equivalency;
(4) Not have been convicted of or pleaded guilty to or entered a plea of nolo contendere to any felony charge or to any violation of any federal or state laws or city ordinances relating to force, violence, theft, dishonesty, gambling, liquor or controlled substances;
(5) Not have been released or discharged under any other than honorable discharge from any of the armed forces of the United States;
(6) Have his fingerprints on file with the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation;
(7) Have passed a physical examination by a licensed physician;
(8) Have a good moral character as determined by a thorough investigation conducted by the employing agency; and
(9) Be free of all apparent mental disorders as described in the Diagnostic and Statistical manual of Mental Disorders, Third Edition (DSM-III) of the American Psychiatric Association. Applicants must be certified as meeting these criteria by a qualified professional in the psychiatric or psychological fields.
Possess a valid Tennessee operator license as issued by the Tennessee Department of Safety.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Worker Characteristics
Knowledge of the court system and presentation of evidence in court proceedings
Knowledge of campus policies and city, county and state laws
Knowledge of effective methods of investigations
Knowledge of geographic area of campus
Ability to react quickly and calmly in emergency situations and to determine proper course of action
Ability to ascertain facts by personal contact, observation, and the examination of records
Ability to explain and interpret pertinent provisions of laws, ordinances, and regulations
Ability to enforce laws firmly, tactfully and with respect for the rights of others
Ability to learn to operate law enforcement equipment necessary in the performance of required duties
Ability to meet local area and institutional requirements related to bonding, arrest authority and weapons use
Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions
Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with students, the public and other employees
Working Conditions/Physical Demands/Special Conditions
Specific working conditions, physical demands and special conditions relative to this position are on file in the Office of Human Resources for your information.
Date Skill Evaluation
5/2004 5 432024222
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position.