East Tennessee State University has a firm commitment to performance evaluation of University personnel, whatever their category and level, through the medium of a formalized system. The primary purpose of such evaluation is to assist personnel in professional development and in achieving University goals. The procedures addressed here apply to full-time, non-faculty University employee. Faculty evaluation is addressed under a separate program.
eVals Information and Login
Probationary and annual evaluations for university staff are conducted through the electronic eValuations system. Temporary employees, graduate assistants and student workers are not evaluated through this system.
eVals allows supervisors and employees to create and store performance-related progress notes, make comments about an evaluation, and submit the evaluations electronically through the appropriate signatory chain to Human Resources.
You will receive an email if you have an "action item" in the eVals system. To complete your action item, follow the instructions in the email or download one of the quickguides.
Log in with your ETSU username (e.g. smithj) and password.
- Taking Action on Your Evaluation (video)
- Annual Evaluation Instructions (pdf)
- Probationary Evaluation Instructions (pdf)
- Supervisors' Reviews Dashboard (pdf)
- Instructions for Checking your Direct Reports (pdf)
Download draft versions of the probationary and annual evaluations from the Human Resources Documents and Forms website.
Visit the eTraining webpage for videos and training related to conducting performance evaluations including:
- How to communicate your assessment of an employee's poor performance
- Conducting Effective Evaluations
- It's Time to Tackle those Difficult Performance Evaluations
The 2018-2019 Non-faculty evaluations are open for employees and supervisors to update Progress Notes.