- Help Desk
- Service Catalog
- Mission and Goals
- Office of the CIO
- ITS Units
- Information Technology Council
- Organization Chart
- Policies & Standards
- Contact Us
an Information Technology Services Policy
This policy outlines the process that the University follows to ensure Web sites are open and accessible to individuals with disabilities.
Accessibility means that Web sites are open and accessible to individuals regardless of their disabilities. ETSU endorses the proposals and guidelines of the World Wide Web Consortium as put forth in the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines.
- Web Accessibility Statement
East Tennessee State University is committed to providing a website that is accessible to the widest possible audience, regardless of technology or ability. We are actively working to increase the accessibility and usability of our website by following applicable, available standards and guidelines.
This website strives to conform to level AA of the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0 (WCAG). These guidelines provide recommendations for making web content more accessible. Conforming to these guidelines will help make the web more user friendly for all people.
The homepage, top level pages and other web pages on this site that are developed and maintained through our web content management system are built using valid CSS and HTML that strives to comply with W3C standards. The site should display correctly in current versions of popular browsers.
While East Tennessee State University endeavors to conform to WCAG 2.0 - level AA , it is not always possible to do so in all areas of the website. Some content on the web is generated automatically via third party programs and is not editable by our institution. In these cases, some items of accessibility may be missing from the code or accessibility errors may be introduced into the code.
We are continually seeking out solutions that will bring all areas of the site up to the same level of overall web accessibility. In the meantime, should you experience any difficulty in accessing content on the East Tennessee State University website, please don't hesitate to contact us by phone at 423-439-7000 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Making Content Accessible
ETSU faculty, staff and students who create and maintain content on the ETSU website should follow WCAG 2.0 - Level AA guidelines when adding and updating content on all ETSU websites. The following processes should be followed to ensure compliance with WCAG 2.0 - Level AA.:
- HTML web pages maintained in the ETSU content management system (CMS): ensure that the CMS web accessibility check does not contain any errors. If accessibility errors are listed, immediately correct these errors or if you cannot correct the errors, contact the web team.
- HTML web pages maintained outside the ETSU content management system (CMS): run all pages against the accessibility checker at http://wave.webaim.org/ and ensure that there are no errors returned. If accessibility errors are listed, immediately correct these errors or if you cannot correct the errors, contact the web team
- Supporting binary files uploaded to the web server (examples of binary files include images, word documents, PDF's, spreadsheets, presentations, etc.): before posting to the web, all binary files must contain 0 errors when utilizing the built-in accessibility checking tools that are part of the software used to create the documents. Examples are: Microsoft Office (2010 or later), Adobe Acrobat (ver. 10 or later).
Training on how to create and maintain accessible documents is available from Information Technology Services. For more information on current training sessions, please contact Web Technologies at 439-7000.
Web administrators who continue to post content that is not accessible will have web account privileges suspended.
- Reporting Violations or Clarifying Compliance
If it comes to the university's attention that web pages are being maintained in a way that violates this policy action will be taken to prevent future abuse of this policy.
If you wish to report an action that violates ETSU's policies, or if you need interpretations regarding compliance, contact Dr. Karen King, Chief Information Officer and Senior Vice Provost, Information Technology Services, Box 70728, Johnson City, TN 37614; telephone (423) 439-7000; or e-mail email@example.com. Dr. King will refer violations to the appropriate university official.
Approved: Information Technology Governance Council
Reviewed: March 2017