I am an ETSU Student with a great Idea. Am I eligible to crowdfund a scholarly project?
Yes! ETSU Students, Faculty, and Staff are eligible to apply. Students with an independently conceived project idea are required to work with a Faculty Mentor and must follow all guidelines established here. Please check Eligibility Guidelines and Application Process below. Call us at the numbers provided below if you need help with your application!
- ETSU supports crowdfunding campaigns for as many as 10 scholarly projects at any given time.
- Projects may be proposed by Faculty, Staff or Students (see eligibility, below).
- Scholarly projects within any academic discipline supported at ETSU may be considered.
- All projects are reviewed for quality and monitored for compliance with applicable regulations and guidelines pertaining to scholarly activity and accounting.
- For additional information or assistance, please contact David Currie at 423.439.6457 or the ITS HelpDesk at 94648.
- Other funding sources are found using the PIVOT Funding Database operated by the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs or via the ETSU Research Development Committee.
- Projects must meet acceptable standards for scholarly projects within ETSU's diverse community of scholars and must further the mission of ETSU.
- A scholarly project generally leads to a publication, exhibition, presentation, performance, creative work, or invention and is typically subject to external peer review, evaluation, or adjudication.
- Faculty, staff, and students are eligible.
- Fund raisers for entities outside of ETSU, including charities and non-profits, are not permitted.
- Click here for Detailed Eligibility Guidelines.
Application & Review Process
- Applications are reviewed by faculty selected by the ORSP.
- Applicants for crowdfunding should receive notification of a decision within 30 calendar days.
- If you have reviewed the Detailed Eligibility Guidelines and wish to proceed, click here to see the Detailed Application and Review Process Guidelines.
- Click here for the Application Form.
- The ETSU Foundation is a 501(c)(3) organization.
- Donors receive a gift acknowledgement for tax purposes from ETSU.
- Click here to see the Detailed Disclaimer which must accompany campaign materials on the crowdfunding site.
Increase Your Likelihood of Receiving Donations
- work with ITS-Research Computing Services to develop campaign media
- describe your expertise
- explain the benefits of your research
- identify other sources of funding
- identify your collaborators
- identify celebrity supporters
- discuss publications and presentations
- recognize donors
- post donor names on web pages or social networks
- send donors signed copies of research papers
- host a virtual conference for donors
- provide certificates of contribution to donors
- send personalized thank you cards to donors
- invite donors to visit the research facility