Sometimes getting the editor and toolbar to do what you are wanting is not always easy! Hopefully these tips will help eliminate frustration.
Paragraph breaks and line breaks
A paragraph break is a single line space or an indentation (or both) marking the division between one paragraph and the next in a body of text.
A line break is a single break that returns the cursor to the next line and does not create a new paragraph.
In the Omni CMS editor you just click the enter button to get a paragraph break like (clicked enter) so.
This gives you a paragraph break
For a line break click shift enter like (click shift enter)
This will give you a line break.
Order/Numbered or Unorder/Bullet lists
The main difference between an ordered/numbered list and an unordered/bullet list is that with an ordered list, the order in which items are presented is important. Because the order matters an ordered list uses numbers. An unordered list uses a dot as the default list item marker.
How to build an ordered/numbered list
- Type in a heading for your list
- Click on 'enter'
- Add your list items - after each click 'enter'
- HIghlight the list items
- Select the ordered/numbered list icon in the toolbar
- If you need sub list in your ordered/numbered list -highlight the times then click the increase indent icon
- Click the dropdown from the ordered/numbered list dropdown and select your format
- To return to the main ordered list/numbered list - click the decrease indent icon and you will return to your original list and the correct numbering sequence
- To finish your list just click on the ordered/numbered list again and that will close the list
Want just a bullet/unordered list - click on the unordered/bullet icon
Anchors or Same Page Links
Anchors are tags you can insert into a page that can then subsequently be linked to text on the same page an external pages. This is useful if you have a page with a lot of content, or specific sections. Two examples
- A page about academic scholarships, you might create anchors for sections about specific scholarships, and then link to those anchors at the top of the page so students can easily find that information.
- Anchors have been use to get back to the top of a page so users do not have to stroll.
The first step is to drop the anchor to above the text. The second step is to hyperlink that anchor at the top of the page.
Inserting an anchor:
Place your cursor above the text you want the link to drop to. Click on the anchor in the toolbar. Enter a name for the anchor in the pop up box. Keep the name simple, all lower case with no spaces. It should relate to the text that you are linking too.
Linking to an anchor
Highlight the text you want to turn into a hyperlink. click on the hyperlink icon the Insert and Edit box will open and because you have added an anchor a new field will be available under the Title field.
Select the correct anchor and click OK.
If you want to link to an anchor on another page, use the file finder for the "URL" field to choose the page to link to. Then, after the dependency tag or URL, type in a # and the anchor name (e.g. etsu.edu/its/page-name#anchorname).