- Why ETSU College of Nursing
- Undergraduate Programs
- Graduate Programs
- Learning Resources
- Faculty Practice
- Nursing Research
- Nurse Managed Health Centers
- CON Life
- Financial Aid
- News & Events
- Clinical Preceptors
- Contact Us
Traditional, LPN-BSN and accelerated BSN students must take the complete Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) assessment as part of the admissions process. The TEAS measures basic essential skills in the academic content area of reading, mathematics, science, and English and language usage. The objectives assessed on the TEAS exam are those which nurse educators deem most appropriate and relevant to measure entry level skills and abilities of nursing program applicants.
Steps to Competing Your TEAS
How does the College of Nursing use the TEAS score?
TEAS scores are used as part of the criteria for admission to the College of Nursing. The TEAS score will also assist the faculty to identify students who may need additional support.
- Students, who score less than program mean in reading comprehension or the cumulative
score, will be required to register for and successfully complete NRSE 3300: Promoting
Academic Success (1 credit hour) during the first semester in the College of Nursing
- Students, who score less than the program mean in math, will be required to register for and successfully complete NRSE 3005: Dosage and Calculations (1 credit hour) prior to enrolling in NRSE 3501: Patient Centered Care 1 (3 credit hours).
How do I register for the TEAS?
To Register for TEAS:
- Go to the University Testing Center link: http://www.etsu.edu/uged/cfaa/testing/default.php
- Click on “FOR ALL ON-SITE EXAMS: START HERE"
- Choose TEAS from the "Choose a Group" drop-down box
- You will see this note:
This Registration and Fee is for your Seat ONLY: You MUST still purchase your exam.
You will need to create an account at www.atitesting.com - You can go to this site after you register and pay for your seat.
- Make sure to write down your Username and Password, as you will need this to log into ATI when you sit down at the computer to take your test.
- You must also bring a method of payment (debit/credit card) to pay for the exam when you sit down at the computer to take your
- Continue to follow the prompts “Choose an exam," etc. until you have successfully registered and purchased your testing
This is a 2-step payment process! You must make one payment to reserve your seat in the University Testing Center AND make another payment to purchase your test once you sit down at your computer to take the test. If you have any questions, please contact Denise Bowser at 423-439-4262 or email@example.com.
When should I take the TEAS?
We need the scores by the application deadline, so before October first or February first.
Can I study for the TEAS?
Yes. We strongly encourage you to prepare for the test.
- Study materials are available to purchase on the ATI website.
- Practice tests and a study manual are both recommended.
- There are four (4) sections to the TEAS exam:
- Math, Reading, Science, and English
Can I take the TEAS more than once?
You can take the TEAS two times in two years, but not more than one time in a single semester. We will take the highest scores, even if they are from two different tests.
How long are the TEAS scores valid?
TEAS scores are valid for two years from the date of assessment.