Dr. Lugo joined the Gatton College of Pharmacy in 2006 as the founding chair of the
Department of Pharmacy Practice. Previously, Dr. Lugo served as Vice-Chair of Pharmacotherapy
at the University of Utah. Since arriving at ETSU, Dr. Lugo has spent most of his
time on administration, program development and teaching.
Dr. Lugo's practice experience and interest is in pediatrics, specifically in pediatric
intensive care. Dr. Lugo's research interests include pediatrics, neonatology, pediatric
intensive care, analgesia and sedation and his research has been supported by the
National Institutes of Health.
Education, Degree, & Post Graduate Training:
BS Pharmacy, Rutgers University College of Pharmacy - 1988
PharmD, University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill - 1991
Research Fellowship in Pediatric Experimental Therapeutics, The Ohio State University
and the Wexner Institute for Pediatric Research, 1993
Founding Chair of the Department of Pharmacy Practice, Gatton College of Pharmacy.
13 years on the faculty at the University of Utah College of Pharmacy (1993-2006)
Principal Investigator on grant funded by the National Institutes of Health (2000-2005).
Adjunct Clinical Pharmacologist, NIH-funded Pediatric Pharmacology Research Unit,
University of Utah, 2004-2006.
37 peer-reviewed publications; 8 book chapters; and 34 abstract presentations
Biostatistics, Research Design, Clinical Pharmacokinetics
1. Ward RM, Drover DR, Hammer GB, Stemland CJ, Kern S, Tristani-Firouzi M, Lugo RA, Satterfield K, Anderson BJ. The pharmacokinetics of methadone and its metabolites
in neonates, infants, and children. Paediatr Anaesth. 2014 Jun;24(6):591-601.
2. Morrison J, Thigpen J, Lugo RA, Brown S. Stability of extemporaneously prepared lansoprazole suspension at two temperatures.
J Pediatr Pharmacol Ther. 2013:18(2) 110-115.
3. Brown B, Connor J, Smallwood N, Lugo RA. Quantification of lansoprazole in oral suspension by ultra-high performance liquid
chromatography hybrid ion-trap time-of-flight mass spectrometry. Int J Anal Chem 2011
(volume 2011), Article ID 832414.
4. Christensen RL, Creekmore FM, Strong MB, Lugo RA. The predictability of urinary pathogens based on the urinalysis nitrite test. Hospital
5. Lugo RA, Satterfield KL, Kern SE. Pharmacokinetics of methadone. J Pain Palliat Care Pharmacother
6. Ward RM, Lugo RA. Cardiovascular drugs for the newborn. Clin Perinatol 2005;32(4):979-97.
7. Haizlip J, Lugo RA, Cash J, Vernon DD. Failure of omeprazole to increase gastric pH in critically ill
children. Pediatr Crit Care Med 2005;6(2):182-187.
8. Lee WE, Lugo RA, Rusho WJ, MacKay M. Stability of extemporaneously prepared lorazepam suspension
at two temperatures. J Pediatr Pharmacol Ther 2004; 9:254-258.
9. Lugo RA, Kern S. Clinical pharmacokinetics of oxycodone. J Pain Palliat Care Pharmacother
10. Wheeler M, Lugo RA, Birmingham PK, Heffner CL, Coté C. The pharmacokinetics of orally administered formulation
of fentanyl citrate in children undergoing general anesthesia. Anesth Analg 2004 Nov;99(5):1347-51.
11. Lugo RA, Ballard J. Albuterol delivery from MDI and spacer is reduced following short duration
manual ventilation in a neonatal ventilator-lung model. Respir Care 2004 Sep;49(9):1029-34.
12. Creekmore F, Lugo RA, Weiland K. Postoperative opiate analgesia requirements of smokers and nonsmokers.
Ann Pharmacother 2004 Jun;38(6):949-53. Epub 2004 Apr 27.
13. Park AH, Pappas AL, Fluder E, Creech S, Lugo RA, Hotaling A. Effect of perioperative administration of ropivacaine with epinephrine
on postoperative pediatric adenotonsillectomy recovery. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck
Surg 2004; 130:459-64.
14. Day JE, Lugo RA, Wilkins D. Analysis of fentanyl and norfentanyl in human plasma by liquid chromatography
– tandem mass spectrometry using electrospray ionization. J Analytical Toxicol 2003;27:513-16.
15. Lugo RA, Kern S. Clinical pharmacokinetics of morphine. J Pain & Palliative Care Pharmacother
16. Ng TMH, Munger MA, Lombardi WL, Doing TH, Ryujin DT, Young DC, Lugo RA. Chronically inhaled salmeterol improves pulmonary function without augmenting neurohormones
in heart failure. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 2002 Jul;40(1):140-145.
17. Harrison AM, Lugo RA, Lee WE, Appachi E, Bourdakos D, Davis SJ, Weise KL, McHugh MJ. The use of haloperidol
in agitated critically ill children. Clin Pediatr 2002;41(1):52-54.
18. Lugo RA, MacKay M, Rusho WJ. Compatibility of lorazepam solutions with intravenous PICU medications
during simulated Y-site injection. J Pediatr Pharmacol Ther 2001;6:485-90.
19. Horgesheimer JJ, Pribble CG, Lugo RA. The effect of midazolam premedication on discharge time in pediatric patients undergoing
general anesthesia for dental restorations. Pediatr Dent 2001;23:491-4.
20. Christensen AA, Lugo RA, Yamashiro DK. The effect of confirmation calls on appointment-keeping behavior of
patients in a children's hospital dental clinic. Pediatr Dent 2001;23:495-8.
21. Lugo RA, MacLaren R, Cash J, Pribble CG, Vernon DD. Enteral methadone to expedite fentanyl
discontinuation and prevent opioid abstinence syndrome in the PICU. Pharmacotherapy
22. Lugo RA, Harrison AM, Cash J, Sweeley J, Vernon DD. Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics
of ranitidine in critically ill children. Crit Care Med 2001;29:759-764.