1.4.3. ARTICLE II
Revised, May 1995
1.4.3. ARTICLE II: PURPOSE & FUNCTIONS
126.96.36.199. The purposes and functions of the Faculty Senate of East Tennessee State University shall be as follows:
1. To serve as the primary vehicle of faculty participation in the affairs of the University.
2. To serve as the forum for the determination and the expression of the representative opinion of the University faculty.
3. To serve as a means for reciprocal communication among all segments of the University (administration, faculty, students, and staff) concerning University problems, goals, programs, and policies.
4. To serve as a forum for the initiation, formulation, discussion and implementation of academic and related policies of concern to colleges, schools, or other academic units.
5. To make recommendations to the appropriate University administrator on matters of University policy and procedure in areas of concern to the faculty, including the following:
a. those matters about which the faculty is expected to take the initiative (e.g. curricula; academic policies; degree programs; faculty appointments; dismissal, retention, promotion and tenure; and academic freedom and responsibility)
b. those matters about which the administration is expected to take the initiative (e.g. policies regarding use of University facilities; allocation of financial resources; research administration; student life; and selection of major University academic administrative officers). The Faculty Senate shall expect to receive prompt notice of impending actions or decisions of the University president, or of other administrative officers, which could result in changes in University policy about which the faculty could be expected to have reasonable concern. The Senate shall discuss such actions or decisions and make recommendations to the appropriate administrator before these are put into effect. Similarly, the Senate shall expect to receive prompt notice of actions taken by the president to implement the Senate's recommendations. If such recommendations are not implemented, the president should offer an explanation for the decision.