- Services Provided
- Meet the Staff
- Make an Appointment
- FAQ and Myths
- Calendar of Events
- Self Help
- Helping Others
- Community Resources
- Alcohol & Drug
- THRIVE Suicide & Violence Prevention
- Student Affairs Home
- Contact Us
SAFE Med Disposal Event
April 26, 2018
ETSU Farmer's Market
Bring your unused, unwanted or expired medications to be properly disposed of by law enforcement.
Safe Medication Storage & Disposal
Prescription drug misuse is a growing concern across our region. Sixty-four percent (64%) of Tennesseans know someone addicted to prescription pain medication. When medication is not properly stored and disposed of, it creates an opportunity for drug misuse.
Students may become accidental drug dealers when roommates, friends and others steal medication that is not secured. Consider your risk factors:
- I don't have a secure place to lock up my prescription medications (lockbox, locked cabinet or locked drawer).
- I don't keep a regular count of my prescription medications.
- I have frequent visitors in my dorm or apartment.
- I have already had someone take my prescription medications without my permission.
- I take medication that is at high risk for being stolen or abused (opiod pain killers, anxiety medication, stimulates for ADD/ADHD)
To Avoid Risk Take These Action Steps
Count it! Count your pills every two weeks. This will prevent theft.
Download a tracking form HERE.
Lock it! Lock up your medication in a place others would not think to look.
Drop It! Drop off unused or expired medication at a drug take-back event or dropbox.
Get a Lock Box
Affordable medication lock boxes can be purchased for $10-$30 online or at your local pharmacy.
ETSU students may be eligible for a FREE lock box if you are unable to purchase one. Please call or email: Angela Hagaman, ETSU Center for Prescription Drug Abuse Prevention and Treatment, (423) 439-7532, firstname.lastname@example.org
Resources at ETSU
Angela Hagaman, MA, LPCA
NIDA/DIDARP Program Director
Mina McVeigh, LCSW
Assistant Director of Outreach
Count it! Lock it! Drop it!
Count it! Lock it! Drop it! is a trademark of Coffee County Anti-Drug Coalition, INc.
(CCADC), Coffee County, TN. For more information visit their website.
DROP BOX FINDER