Types of Documentation
PETITION SUPPORT LETTERS
- Current and former clients may request documentation of services received at the ETSU Counseling Center. However, if you have never been a client here, we are probably not the best source of support for your petition and may not be able to provide you a letter.
- Speak to your counselor or provider if you need a petition support letter, such as for withdrawal from classes or reinstatement of financial aid. Tell your provider the purpose of the letter and share complete contact information for the letter recipient.
- Although counselors want to be supportive when they can, it is important for faculty, staff and students to understand that counselors cannot help confirm difficulties of which they have no prior information or only very little knowledge.
- Note that support letters are only viewed favorably when they are written by a provider with whom you have established a working relationship. If you have met with an ETSU Counseling Center counselor for only 1-2 visits, we can only offer a visit verification form.
VISIT VERIFICATION FORMS
- A visit verification form is an official documentation that you received services on a particular date. This could be helpful to share with a professor who desires proof of services.
- Note that for the purpose of petitions, a visit verification form typically is not an adequate substitute for a support letter from a provider with whom you have an established working relationship.
- You may wish to share records regarding your treatment with another professional. To request records please call us at 423-439-3333. Please note that we do not hold records past 10 years.
EMOTIONAL SUPPORT ANIMALS
- The ETSU Counseling Center does NOT write support letters for emotional support animals and they are not permitted in our facilities.
- Only a forensic psychologist is qualified to determine whether an emotional support animal will help someone with a specific mental health disability. Given the insufficient evidence regarding the benefits of ESAs there are a limited number of providers who may be willing to write these letters. If you have insurance please contact them regarding details about referral and coverage.
- Learn more about the ETSU Counseling Center’s policy regarding animals and ETSU's policy on ESA.
- Academic accommodations are handled by the ETSU Disability Services Office. For more information about requesting an accommodation letter please visit: https://www.etsu.edu/students/ds/default.php.
- Because of our commitment to your privacy and confidentiality, we will not release any information about you without your signed authorization. To begin the process of requesting any documentation, you must come to the ETSU Counseling Center and sign a Release of Information document.
- Please Note
- Bring a photo ID when requesting or receiving documentation.
- Allow up to 7 days for the processing of documentation requests.
- The ETSU Counseling Center does not keep records beyond 10 years.
All letter requests are staffed on Fridays and considered for approval by the Counseling Center team. All requests are subject to the discretion of the Counseling Center.