Toolkit for Advising Online
In response to the University's decision to suspend in-person meetings, we have compiled the following information and resources that might be helpful when moving advising services online. If you and your offices have additional resources or diferent processes that are working well please consider sharing them with the rest of campus. This webpage is meant as a way for all advising staff to stay connected during these unprecedented times. Staying connected and supporting each other can help ensure that our students are successful through these transitions.
Who To Contact?
Arts and Sciences Martha Edde email@example.com
Business and Technology Debbie Roach firstname.lastname@example.org
Clemmer Joel Tramel email@example.com
Clinical and Rehabilitative Megan Roberts ROBERTSMM@etsu.edu
Continuing Studies Lindsey Campbell CAMPBELLL1@etsu.edu
Nursing Karen Hirst firstname.lastname@example.org
Public Health Taylor Dula MCKEEHAN@etsu.edu
UAC Stacy Onks email@example.com
Learning Support Permits
Arts & Sciences Class Permits
Contact Academic Departments (via main number). For emergencies and final backup resource, email Martha Edde (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- English - contact Diana Qualls at 423-439-4339
- History 2010 002- Email Dr. Antkiewicz at (email@example.com)
Deans and specified designees should use their discretion when reviewing/approving late drops for courses for spring 2020. The deans or designees are not required to have students complete late drop form. They may utilize email correspondence with instructors and students as needed. Dean/designee may submit final approval for late drop to Registrar’s Office via email. Registra@etsu.edu (note spelling).
Tutorials and Resources
Setting up Zoom
Zoom video conferencing software can be used to advise students from a distance.
- Setting up Waiting Room (video pending....)
- Scheduling A Meeting (video tutorial)
- If you do not want to schedule a new meeting every time you have an appointment, you can set the meeting up as a "recurring meeting." This would allow you to have one link to send to students.
- Sharing your Screen and Annotating (video tutorial)
Additional Tutorials for Zoom can be found through the ITS Help Desk here.
If you want to have phone appointments with students, but do not want to give our your personal phone number, you can use Google Voice to connect your phone number to a different number. You can then use an application of your phone or tablet, or the web to call your students.
These resources are from the Office of Registrar's:
- How to View Registration Status (video tutorial)
- How To Register For Classes using Schedule Builder (video tutorial)
- How To Register For Classes - Look Up Classes (video tutorial)
- Student Holds (webpage)
- Advisor Contact List (webpage)
- Degree Works Tutorial (webpage)
- Zoom for Students (video tutorial)
Possible Advisement Process Workflows: