Content Management System
A content management system, often abbreviated as CMS, is software system that helps users create, manage, and modify content on a website without the need for specialized technical knowledge.
East Tennessee State University's CMS is OMNI CMS. OMNI CMS is designed for higher education. ETSU has partnered with OU for over ten years.
ETSU's website consists of over 700 sites and subsites with over 10,000 individual web pages!
Each department is ultimately responsible for web updates and the quality of content in its site.
Access and Training
Request approval to access ETSU Websites
Current ETSU faculty, staff and students may use this form to request access to edit a website or specific folders within a website.
Training workshops are provided for all departments upon the approval of the department administrator.
At the completion of the workshop the participants will be able to:
- Login to CMS using their ETSU username and password
- Uploaddocuments and/orpictures that will be usedon the website pages
- Edit, hyperlink, add pictures, save and submit pages
- Format text, add snippets, styles, and components to the webpage.
Find answers to your Content Management questions.
If student workers or graduate assistants will be updating the website, we recommend that in addition to the student, a full-time staff or faculty member will also be attending training. This helps ensure consistency when student turnover occurs.
- built with HTML code that conforms toWCAG 2.0 accessibility requirements at a minimum
of level "AA" (seemore information about accessibility requirements)
- utilization of HTML 5 code where appropriate and implementation of the HTML 5 WYSIWYG
editor within Omni CMS
- responsive code design, so that site content will stack and render nicely on handheld
- use of more accessible one level "drop down" left navigation (as opposed to fly-out
- elimination of HTML tables for layout; addition of many snippets and components that
can be used to layout information horizontally
- easy creation of faculty/staff pages utilizing built-in functionality for creating
a facstaff "directory" page and individual CV pages
- new, simpler image gallery option that will render responsively on handheld devices
- ability to track analytics on your site pages- contact Andy Olson for more information
- automatic accessibility and spell checking
Have a question or can't remember how to use the tools in Omni CMS? Use this site to find helpful information related to working in Omni CMS.
Add/Edit Pages and Folders
Creative Content Development
Snippet & Assets