- Academic Programs
- Student Resources
- Contact Us
REU Site: Modeling
Application Deadline: 11:59:59 pm on Friday March 25, 2016
Dates: May 30 through July 22, 2016.
This is a summer Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) funded by the National Security Agency.
East Tennessee State University is located at the foot of the Appalachian Mountains in scenic Johnson City, Tennessee, 100 miles from Knoxville, 200 miles from Charlotte (an American Airlines hub with connections to Johnson City) and 250 miles from Atlanta (a Delta hub with connecting flights to Johnson City).
Modeling: Complex Networks and Dynamic Models in Biology
Team members will work in pairs on one in-depth problem for the nine weeks. All problems will involve modeling and simulation of models using high-level programming languages such as R, Python or MATLAB and packages like Cytoscape or iGraph. Additionally, research problems will explore topics in: spatial agricultural epidemics validated with GIS and prevalence data in the context of cassava mosaic virus disease (CMD); mathematical modeling of type 2 diabetes integrating network science with pharmacokinetic models in an attempt to address a number of unknowns regarding the physiological basis for diseases.
- Program Announcement (PDF). ETSU Press Release [URL].
- Selection Criteria
- 2016 Application Form (docx-file). The application form is a docx-file. Some questions require essay-type answers. Be thoughtful while articulating your answers. First, download the form. Second, fill out the form. Third, save it. Fourth, upload it.
- Online submission of application documents: only electronic applications are processed.
- An active email address is needed.
- Electronic copies of resume, unofficial transcripts, and application form will be uploaded.
- Letters of recommendations will be requested and collected by email.
- Applicants must create an account, free of charge, with MathPrograms.org.
- A standard Cover Sheet will need to be filled.