Search People | Search ETSU
Future Students Current Students Faculty & Staff Alumni & Friends Apply to ETSU
Transitional Licensure Program

I have a degree but have not completed a teacher education program.  What are my options for obtaining a Tennessee teaching license?

An Alternative/Transitional License is not a full teaching license. It is issued at the request of the superintendent/director of schools of a Tennessee school district to an individual who is employed while still completing specific licensure requirements. The license is issued for one school year at a time and always expires on August 31 following the academic school year for which it is issued. (Source:  Tennessee State Department of Education)

Transitional Licensure is available for the following teaching fields:

  • All Secondary Education

Transitional Licensure Process

Use this link to access the Transitional License Application:

Transitional Licensure Program of Study

Transitional Licensure Renewal and Advancement to Full Licensure

Transitional Licensure Partners

Claudius G. Clemmer College of Education
East Tennessee State University
319 Warf-Pickel Hall
PO Box 70685
Johnson City, TN 37614-0685
Phone: (423) 439-7626
Fax (423) 439-7560