- Department Home
- Scholarly Activities
- Current/Completed Projects
- Publication & Presentation Opportunities
- Funding Opportunities
- Quality Improvement
- Contact Us
METRIC: Measuring, Evaluating, and Translating Research Into Care
- Complete a short questionnaire. Residents will create and fill out a checklist evaluation form to provide a sense of current systems of practice.
- Review charts and enter patient data. Next, residents will pull 10 patient records for chart review based on evidence-based performance measures.
- Assess performance. After reviewing patient records, residents will see how their data compares with evidence-based guidelines for standards of care.
- Build an action plan. Next, residents will build an action plan based on feedback from the chart review. The action plan will include a QI intervention.
- Implement the plan. The QI intervention will be implemented over a six-month action period to serve as a guide to making change in the practice system.
- Re-measure and re-assess. Residents will complete a second checklist evaluation form based on reviewing a second set of 10 patient charts. They will then prepare a final report to compare baseline and follow-up data and assess the impact of their QI intervention on quality of care for their patients.
Don't think of it as "quality improvement"
- Think of METRIC as improving patient outcomes and enhancing your practice.
- Think of METRIC as earning CME credit and fulfilling your MC-FP Part IV requirement.
- Think of METRIC as a single online learning opportunity that benefits both you and your patients.
How does the METRIC program work?
The METRIC program guides you through a step-by-step process. The time to complete the program ranges between 3 and 12 months and depends on the action plan you develop.
- Stage A: Learning from Current Practice
- Complete Practice Assessment Questionnaire.
- Enter data from patient charts (10 or 15 charts, depending on the module).
- Assess personal performance and compare results nationally.
- Stage B: Learning from the Application of Performance
Improvement to Patient Care
- Select from multiple interventions.
- Use provided resources to develop Action Plan.
- Implement Action Plan for a minimum of three months, using tips, templates, and resources from METRIC.
- Stage C: Learning from the Evaluation of the Performance
- Complete Practice Assessment Questionnaire (re-measure).
- Enter data from patient charts (re-measure).
- Compare to baseline measurements and reflect on experience.
The METRIC program follows the AMAs nationally standardized Performance Improvement CME format.
Tutorial: Walk through the program step-by-step.
Some content copied from: http://www.aafp.org/online/en/home/cme/selfstudy/metric.html
- METRIC Program