The University Honors Scholars program, limited in size and admission, is competitive. Twenty-two scholars and two alternates (without UHS scholarship) are selected each year for fall matriculation.The application deadline for Fall 2018 admission is December 15, 2017 at 4:30 p.m. The link to the application is at the bottom of this page. Please read all instructions carefully.
To be considered for admission, all applicants must provide evidence of:
- ACT of 29 or higher composite (without the writing score) or SAT of 1350 or higher composite based on the math and reading scores only;
- High school GPA of 3.5 or higher on a 4.0 unweighted scale;
- Community and school service and other leadership activities;
- Commitment to pursue a 4-year baccalaureate degree at ETSU's Johnson City campus.
- Currently enrolled ETSU students, transfer students, non-degree seeking students, and second baccalaureate degree students are not eligible for this program.
- If you are graduating from high school Spring 2018 with dual enrollment credit, even an Associate Degree, you will be considered an incoming freshman by ETSU and you are eligible for the UHS program. You are not eligible for the Midway Honors Scholars Program.
- We will not accept December ACT/SAT scores
APPLICATION: The application deadline is December 15, 2017 at 4:30 p.m.
Click Here to view a pdf of these instructions.
The first step in becoming a University Honors Scholar is to apply to ETSU for fall admission by completing the online application at http://admissions.etsu.edu/ and providing an official copy of your transcript and ACT/SAT scores to the Admissions Office. We no longer require a separate copy of the transcript be sent to the Honors College.
Once you have done that, gather the information you need. This is important as the application must be submitted as one document. You will need:
- Your basic personal and academic information.
- Information for the online resume form:
- Scholastic Honors
- School-related extracurricular activities, including years involved, offices held, roles, and achievements.
- Community volunteer service, including years involved, offices held, roles, and achievements.
- Other activities (sports, arts, etc.)
- Work experience
- Travel experiences
- A formal Cover Letter to the University Honors Scholars Review Committee that includes
why you are interested in becoming an ETSU University Honors Scholar, relevant skills
and knowledge that make you an exceptional candidate for this program, how you will
benefit from the program, and how you will contribute to the program.
- Your one-page Application Essay in response to one of the prompts below. The reviewers
will be looking for the following in your essay: originality and creativity; strong
point or argument; evidence of care, effort and clarity; essay organization, grammar,
structure and language.
- Discuss a milestone in your life—an event, challenge, success, or failure—that changed the way you saw yourself, your community, or your culture. Explain how this milestone affected you and what you learned from the experience.
- Discuss an aspect of yourself—your background, identity, interest, talent, etc.—that is so important to you, you feel your application would be incomplete without it.
- Contact information (email) for your three academic references. We recommend contacting your references ahead of time to ensure that they are willing and able to provide a reference. Once you apply, a reference form will automatically be sent to your references by the email addresses you provide. All three of your references will have to complete this form and return it to us before the application deadline for your application to be considered complete.For this reason, be sure to submit your completed application well in advance of the December 15th deadline.
To apply, click the link below. You will only be able to submit the application one time when everything is complete. The application cannot be saved to return to later.
If you have questions about your eligibility to apply for the ETSU University Honor Scholars Program or the application submission process, please Contact Us.