Skill Level: 6
FLSA Status: Non-exempt IPEDS: 410
EXPECTATIONS FOR ALL EMPLOYEES
East Tennessee State University pursues its mission based upon core values. An employee's job performance must support and exhibit the university's core values:
PEOPLE come first, are
treated with dignity and respect, and are encouraged to achieve their full
RELATIONSHIPS are built on honesty, integrity and trust;
DIVERSITY of people and thought is respected;
EXCELLENCE is achieved through teamwork, leadership, creativity, and a strong work ethic;
EFFICIENCY is achieved through wise use of human and financial resources; and
COMMITMENT to intellectual achievement is embraced.
Performs a variety of complex secretarial and clerical tasks which may include, but are not necessarily limited to, performing complex word processing drafting correspondence and memos, maintaining the supervisors calendar making travel arrangements, coordinating logistical arrangements for conferences and meetings, composing documents, purchasing supplies, compiling information for report preparation
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
(Essential functions for this position are on file in the Office of Human Resources for your information.)
- Serves as secretary to assigned individual(s) or department
- Drafts non-routine correspondence and memos for supervisorís signature; utilizes word processing and graphics software to format and generate a variety of complex materials including correspondence, memos, syllabi, handouts, and exams; prepares slides and transparencies
- Receives, directs, and assists visitors; provides procedural information and answers inquiries related to operational matters
- Maintains supervisor's calendar and schedule; makes appointments and travel arrangements; plans and arranges conferences and special events by ensuring that any necessary rental/reservation and catering arrangements are made
- Reads and reviews incoming mail; processes incoming forms and paperwork; recommends and drafts responses, where appropriate; drafts correspondence on behalf of supervisor and/or composes and forwards memos and letters to appropriate individuals relative to informational inquiries
- Supervises daily financial matters in the department, including estimates office needs and operating requirements for budgetary and purchasing purposes; monitors expenses; insures the completion of all required forms; apprises director/dean of budget matters
- Researches policies, procedures and guidelines for supervisor and staff and ensures that appropriate procedures are established in department to comply
- Develops and maintains departmental filing system
- Maintains personnel, financial, statistical and other important records
- Answers incoming phone calls by providing information, taking messages, screening requests on behalf of supervisor, or referring calls to appropriate person; places calls to obtain and/or research information for administrative personnel
- Monitors and maintains inventory of supplies, forms, and other materials; initiates ordering process as necessary
- Assists staff in performance of duties; serves as informational resource in regard to the more difficult inquiries or problems
- Performs standard to moderately complex research by collecting and analyzing information; assists in preparing comprehensive reports
- Serves as liaison to other departments on various operational matters.
- All incumbents are expected to perform these functions except for those qualifying under the Americans with Disabilities Act for a reasonable accommodation.
- These functions may vary by institution.
- Incumbents may provide backup to various functions within the unit.
This position works under somewhat limited supervision in performing complex office activities requiring on-going analysis, independent judgment and discretion. This classification requires a greater degree of knowledge of office variety operations and secretarial skills than that of the Secretary 3.
office staff; ensures that tasks are assigned and completed; may evaluate
performance and recommends hiring, discipline, and related matters for office
High School diploma or GED plus three (3) years secretarial office experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. May require specific level of skill in keyboarding.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND WORKER CHARACTERISTICS
- Knowledge of office practices, procedures and equipment
- Skill in using word processing software applications and online systems
- Skill in use of business English
- Skill in use of arithmetic
- Skill in effective communication
- Skill in organizing and prioritizing multiple tasks required for own work and work of others
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS/SPECIAL CONDITIONS
Specific working conditions, physical demands and special conditions relative to this position are on file in the Office of Human Resources for your information.
Date Skill Evaluation
5/2004 6 513031332
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position.