MAINTENANCE UTILITY WORKER
FOR ALL EMPLOYEES East Tennessee State University pursues its mission based
upon core values. An employee's job performance must support and exhibit the
university's core values: PEOPLE come first, are
treated with dignity and respect, and are encouraged to achieve their full
RELATIONSHIPS are built on honesty, integrity and trust;
DIVERSITY of people and thought is respected;
EXCELLENCE is achieved through teamwork, leadership, creativity, and a strong work ethic;
EFFICIENCY is achieved through wise use of human and financial resources; and
COMMITMENT to intellectual achievement is embraced.
EXPECTATIONS FOR ALL EMPLOYEES
Employees in this class are under general supervision. Work performed
in a variety of semi-skilled maintenance tasks including carpentry, electrical,
plumbing, and masonry, which may or may not be part of a training program;
performing related work as required.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED
- Removing, replacing, or repairing light fixtures, switches, wall plugs, etc.
- Testing electrical equipment after repair.
- Performs or assists with a variety of carpentry tasks.
- Assists with the inspection and repair of plumbing pipes and fixtures.
- Performs a variety of custodial tasks in the maintenance area and other facilities.
- Performs other work as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of methods, materials, and equipment used in carpentry, electrical, plumbing, masonry and other maintenance work.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions.
- Knowledge of tools and equipment used to perform tasks.
- Ability to exercise good judgement in evaluating situations and making decisions.
- Ability to use, clean, repair, and maintain equipment.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship
with other employees.
Applicants possessing these qualifications have a good probability for
success in this class. However, applicants not possessing these qualifications
should apply if they believe their training and experience will enable
them to perform the work successfully. Completion of the tenth grade. Some
experience in general building and plant maintenance with some basic knowledge
of carpentry, electrical, plumbing, and masonry work.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the
types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given
this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties
and responsibilities of any particular position.
10/1/80 4 432013212