FOR ALL EMPLOYEES East Tennessee State University pursues its mission based
upon core values. An employee's job performance must support and exhibit the
university's core values: PEOPLE come first, are
treated with dignity and respect, and are encouraged to achieve their full
RELATIONSHIPS are built on honesty, integrity and trust;
DIVERSITY of people and thought is respected;
EXCELLENCE is achieved through teamwork, leadership, creativity, and a strong work ethic;
EFFICIENCY is achieved through wise use of human and financial resources; and
COMMITMENT to intellectual achievement is embraced.
EXPECTATIONS FOR ALL EMPLOYEES
Employees in this class are under general supervision. Work performed
in a variety of skilled maintenance tasks including carpentry, electrical,
plumbing, air conditioning and refrigeration, and performing related work
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED
- Installs or repairs electrical outlets, lighting fixtures, timers, motor controls, electric motors, air compressors, air conditioning and refrigeration units, and a variety of other electrical equipment.
- Installs or repairs all types of plumbing fixtures, water lines, water heaters, etc.
- Operates and maintains high pressure boiler and chiller equipment.
- Repairs racks and supports, ladders, metal furniture, and sports equipment using an arc welder, brazing torch, and cutting torch.
- Performs a variety of carpentry tasks in the construction and maintenance of buildings and other facilities.
- Performs other work as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of methods, materials and equipment used in carpentry, electrical, air conditioning and refrigeration, plumbing, boilers, chillers, and other maintenance work.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions.
- Knowledge of tools and equipment used to perform these tasks.
- Ability to exercise good judgement in evaluating situations and making decisions.
- Ability to read blueprints and electrical diagrams.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship
with other employees.
Applicants possessing these qualifications have a good probability for
success in this class. However, applicants not possessing these qualifications
should apply if they believe their training and experience will enable
them to perform the work successfully. Completion of the tenth grade. Experience
in increasingly responsible building and plant maintenance work involving
a knowledge of carpentry, masonry, painting, electrical, and refrigeration
work of which some experience must have been at the journeyman level.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the
types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given
this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties
and responsibilities of any particular position.
10/1/80 6 632024213