FOR ALL EMPLOYEES East Tennessee State University pursues its mission based
upon core values. An employee's job performance must support and exhibit the
university's core values: PEOPLE come first, are
treated with dignity and respect, and are encouraged to achieve their full
RELATIONSHIPS are built on honesty, integrity and trust;
DIVERSITY of people and thought is respected;
EXCELLENCE is achieved through teamwork, leadership, creativity, and a strong work ethic;
EFFICIENCY is achieved through wise use of human and financial resources; and
COMMITMENT to intellectual achievement is embraced.
EXPECTATIONS FOR ALL EMPLOYEES
Employees in this class are under general supervision. Work performed
in the preparation and supervision of others engaged in the preparation
of the total payroll; preparing related reports and performing related
work as required.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED
- Plans and assigns work to employees engaged in the accumulation of information and the preparation of documents necessary to prepare payrolls.
- Oversees data input activities.
- Balances and verifies correctness of payroll register from which monthly payroll checks are produced.
- Balances state retirement and FICA listings to control register and prepares several reports for retirement and FICA both monthly and quarterly and in addition prepares quarterly reports for Federal Income Tax and reports for the Tennessee Department of Employment Security.
- Prepares check requests.
- Issues stop-payment forms for payroll checks.
- Communicates with computer center personnel regarding any changes or problems in payroll systems.
- Types forms or correspondence.
- Performs other work as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of bookkeeping and basic accounting theory and practice.
- Knowledge of modern payroll systems, procedures, and practices.
- Knowledge of the preparation of various reports generated by payroll preparation.
- Knowledge of the principles and methods of supervision.
- Knowledge of business English and arithmetic.
- Knowledge of modern office practices, procedures and equipment.
- Ability to coordinate and supervise the preparation of a computerized payrolls.
- Ability to plan and direct the work of others.
- Ability to operate a variety of office machines.
- Ability to evaluate situations and make decisions.
- Ability to express ideas clearly, concisely, and convincingly.
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship
with the public and other employees.
Applicants possessing these qualifications have a good probability for
success in this class. However, applicants not possessing these qualifications
should apply if they believe their training and experience will enable
them to perform the work successfully. Graduation from a standard high
school. Experience in payroll preparation.
Date Skill Eval
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the
types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given
this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties
and responsibilities of any particular position.
5/2004 7 713231221