SCIENTIFIC EQUIPMENT TECHNICIAN
FOR ALL EMPLOYEES East Tennessee State University pursues its mission based
upon core values. An employee's job performance must support and exhibit the
university's core values: PEOPLE come first, are
treated with dignity and respect, and are encouraged to achieve their full
RELATIONSHIPS are built on honesty, integrity and trust;
DIVERSITY of people and thought is respected;
EXCELLENCE is achieved through teamwork, leadership, creativity, and a strong work ethic;
EFFICIENCY is achieved through wise use of human and financial resources; and
COMMITMENT to intellectual achievement is embraced.
EXPECTATIONS FOR ALL EMPLOYEES
Employees in this class are under general supervision. Work performed
in maintaining scientific, engineering, and electronic test and experiment
apparatus and performing related work as required.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED
- Calibrates, repairs, and maintains electronic and mechanical test equipment.
- Maintains scientific and engineering test and experiment apparatus.
- Maintains computer terminals and related equipment.
- Provides both consultative and manual technical assistance in the assembly and design of engineering and experimental apparatus and models.
- Assembles new scientific equipment.
- Provides assistance to insure the proper placement, installation, and assembly of new technical equipment and general technical equipment.
- Provides quality control assistance on new equipment.
- Performs other work as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of electronic and mechanical test equipment.
- Knowledge of the maintenance of scientific and engineering test and experiment apparatus.
- Knowledge of tools and test equipment used in electronics work.
- Ability to calibrate, repair, and maintain electronic and mechanical test equipment.
- Ability to instruct and demonstrate to others the use of electronic and mechanical test equipment.
- Ability to troubleshoot electronic systems using a schematic or wiring diagram and electronic test equipment.
- Ability to test quality control of new equipment.
- Ability to evaluate situations and make decisions.
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship
with the students and other employees.
Applicants possessing these qualifications have a good probability for
success in this class. However, applicants not possessing these qualifications
should apply if they believe their training and experience will enable
them to perform the work successfully. Successful completion of two years
training in a related technical program. Experience in electronic testing
or closely related field.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the
types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given
this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties
and responsibilities of any particular position.
10/16/89 9 733022323