FOR ALL EMPLOYEES East Tennessee State University pursues its mission based
upon core values. An employee's job performance must support and exhibit the
university's core values: PEOPLE come first, are
treated with dignity and respect, and are encouraged to achieve their full
RELATIONSHIPS are built on honesty, integrity and trust;
DIVERSITY of people and thought is respected;
EXCELLENCE is achieved through teamwork, leadership, creativity, and a strong work ethic;
EFFICIENCY is achieved through wise use of human and financial resources; and
COMMITMENT to intellectual achievement is embraced.
EXPECTATIONS FOR ALL EMPLOYEES
Employees in this class are under close supervision. Work performed
in the receipt, issuance, or sale of items, books, materials and commodities,
and performing related work as required.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED
- Operates a cash register, cashes checks, and makes change as required.
- Checks materials, books and supplies against invoices, bills, shipping papers, and purchase orders.
- Opens and prices merchandise, stocks shelves and rearranges stock.
- Takes inventory and keeps a list of items to be ordered or re-ordered.
- Sells books and handles special orders.
- Performs other work as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of business English and arithmetic.
- Knowledge of filing procedures.
- Knowledge of elementary storekeeping methods and procedures.
- Ability to make arithmetic computations and tabulations accurately.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to operate a cash register and make change.
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship
with the students, the public and other employees.
Applicants possessing these qualifications have a good probability for
success in this class. However, applicants not possessing these qualifications
should apply if they believe their training and experience will enable
them to perform the work successfully. Graduation from a standard high
school. Experience in routine clerical work, over-the-counter sales, or
other work dealing with the public.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the
types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given
this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties
and responsibilities of any particular position.
10/1/80 3 422012122