Wireless Setup Instructions
Below, you will find links to setup instructions for configuring your wireless interface for connectivity at ETSU. Please note our Wireless Network Policy and Frequently Asked Questions.
ETSU and ETSURESNET Wireless Networks uses domain authentication. In other words, connecting to ETSU's wifi service requires the same username and password as you use for most other ETSU services.
When you change your password for email, Goldlink, D2L or other ETSU services, you must remember to teach your wireless device your updated password.
It does not matter whether you connect to ETSU or ETSURESNET Wireless Networks using a computer, a tablet, a mobile phone or any other wi-fi device; neglecting to update the password stored in your device WILL result in frequent account lock-outs from password failures.
Most ETSU owned Windows computers that log on to the ETSU Domain will receive the SSID wireless configuration automatically. If you are not automatically prompted to login to ETSU or ETSURESNET Wireless Networks, plug the device into ETSU's network with a network cable and reboot so it can get the initial wireless configuration. If you are still not prompted to log into ETSU or ETSURESNET Wireless Networks at next reboot, choose the correct operating system listed above under ETSU owned machines and manually configure the device.
- The ETSU network will appear as an available wireless network throughout all academic and administrative buildings.
- The ETSURESNET network will appear as an available wireless network in all residential halls and in several locations on the edge of campus.
Note: ETSU owned machines that use Microsoft Vista and Windows 7 may be prompted to enter their user name and password twice at initial login. The first set of credentials is to logon to the laptop. The second set is to log on to the wireless network.
If you run into issues establishing a network connection to the new WiFi network, here are some simple steps to try that should help resolve the problem.
- Instruct the device to delete or “forget” ETSU or ETSURESNET.
- After removing ETSU or ETSURESNET, try connecting to ETSU or ETSURESNET again. If you are prompted to accept the security certificate, tap on the “Trust” link.
- If it still fails with your unsername and password combination, wait at least one minute and then try again.
- If it still fails, preface your username with “etsu/” or "etsu\".
If you are still unable to login, please contact ITS at firstname.lastname@example.org
or by calling 439-4648 for additional assistance.
Generic Settings for Unsupported Devices
To connect an unsupported device to our wireless network, you can try using the following steps to manually configure your device. Some of these items may not apply.
- Make sure you are in an area where we have wireless coverage.
- The network names are ETSU and ETSURESNET Wireless Networks
- Configure your wireless device to connect using WPA2-Enterprise with AES encryption.
- The key is provided automatically when authenticating over 802.1x
- Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication
- EAP type is PEAP
- Phase 2 authentication is MSCHAPv2
- Uncheck "Validate server certificate" if applicable
- Passphrase is your domain password
- If there's an option to use the device's local login credentials for connecting wirelessly, uncheck that option.